Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wcooper4

prevent pop-up dictionary

Jump to solution

When selecting text to write comments on when evaluating student written assignments, the pop-up dictionary frequently pops up. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

This appears to be something that is part of your Mac operating system and not part of Canvas. It sounds like you're supposed to have to hit Cmd+Ctrl+D although there may be some variations on that (like using force touch) with a note about having Spotlight Search enabled. I don't use my Mac enough to know what those are, but I mention them. I'm not sure this is under Canvas' control

Here are some links to Apple Support information.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @wcooper4  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I'm not familiar with a "pop-up dictionary" in Canvas.  Could you describe this more or post a screen shot showing what you are referring to?  (Please make sure to hide any student names/grades to protect privacy.)  Thanks!

Thank you, Chris, for your reply. In the middle of commenting on the student's paper shown below, I attempted to highlight a passage beginning with the word "not" but then was interrupted by this dictionary pop-up. I welcome this when I want to look up a definition from the online NY Times, but not when I'm commenting on my students' papers.   

330963_pastedImage_1.png

James
Community Champion

This appears to be something that is part of your Mac operating system and not part of Canvas. It sounds like you're supposed to have to hit Cmd+Ctrl+D although there may be some variations on that (like using force touch) with a note about having Spotlight Search enabled. I don't use my Mac enough to know what those are, but I mention them. I'm not sure this is under Canvas' control

Here are some links to Apple Support information.