cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eichb003

"Download Annotated PDF" doesn't download annotations?

Jump to solution

I'm still learning Canvas, and created a group assignment without evidently setting the group component correctly. Now I have graded the group assignments submitted by one person from each group, leaving in-document feedback using SpeedGrader, and need to get my feedback to the rest of the students. 

So I click the "Download Annotated PDF" button, which saves a PDF...and the resultant PDF saves a tiny red flag wherever I commented, but no comment itself. Am I going to have to regrade everything in Word, replicating all of my in-document comments for all students? Am I misunderstanding what the "Download Annotated PDF" button does, and it doesn't download annotations? I'm feeling baffled right now that there would be a situation in which you'd want to save a document with the flag for an annotation but no actually annotation...

I looked at prior answers and they don't seem to be quite this situation, but I might have misread.

Thanks for any help.

1 Solution
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @eichb003 .  I just ran into this yesterday myself when working with a participant in a class I am teaching.  When I click on download annotated PDF, if opens the document in one of my web browser tabs.  On this if I scroll over where I left the comment, it appears.  This worked well for me when with this individual.  I just tested this, but if I save the annotated PDF and then select to open this in Adobe Reader, I can see the comments as well.  When I go to print, there is an option in my panel that appears to allow the comments to be printed as well (see below).

269560_pastedImage_2.png

You might give this a try and see if it helps solve your problem, but if not please let us know.  Your printing options could be different depending on what program or browser is opening the document as well.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @eichb003 .  I just ran into this yesterday myself when working with a participant in a class I am teaching.  When I click on download annotated PDF, if opens the document in one of my web browser tabs.  On this if I scroll over where I left the comment, it appears.  This worked well for me when with this individual.  I just tested this, but if I save the annotated PDF and then select to open this in Adobe Reader, I can see the comments as well.  When I go to print, there is an option in my panel that appears to allow the comments to be printed as well (see below).

269560_pastedImage_2.png

You might give this a try and see if it helps solve your problem, but if not please let us know.  Your printing options could be different depending on what program or browser is opening the document as well.

Good luck!

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the summarize function seems to be the key. It's strange that that step is necessary, but I'm glad there's a solution! Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

Ryan

Glad to hear that this works  @eichb003 !  I was working in Acrobat Reader the other day and created some sticky note comments and noticed that they function similar to the annotations in SpeedGrader in terms of appearance and printing.  Word on the other hand automatically shows the comments when printed.  It would be interesting to know if functionality similar to Word could be programmed into Canvas or if it will be dependent on the functionality of Acrobat in the future as well.  I'll update this thread if I find something new.

Have a great spring!

george_franz
Community Participant

Unfortunately there's no easy way to fix this.  If you want a hard way, you can do it in Adobe Acrobat.

Go into the 2021-04-06_14-26-48.pngJavascript curly braces { } and then edit the "Will Print" section to say

this.flattenPages();

}

Then it will flatten the pages (basically like merging layers in a photo editor) into a single document.  The annotations then become visible on the printed document.  If you add it to the "will save" event then it will flatten before a save, and the annotations will become a permanent part of the file.

Not easy for the uninitiated - I'm about to add the javascript to the blank pdf worksheets I post so that (hopefully) the students annotations will appear automatically.

George's solution works!

0 Kudos