cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GSpray
Community Member

"No Preview Available"

Jump to solution

When I go to grade an assignment on SpeedGrader, I get a screen that says "No Preview Available."  I know the students have turned the assignment in, but I am unable to see it, grade it, or comment on it.  This hasn't happened on all assignments, just a few.  I think it's the late assignments it won't let me see.

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Steven_S
Community Champion

You should still be able to download the submission and open it outside of canvas. In the sppedgrader's the right-side column you will see "submission to view," the date it was submitted, "submitted files," and finally a link to any file the student uploaded.  Click that link to download a copy.

View solution in original post

I had the same problem but it is not showing me any of those options. What should I do? 

[screenshot deleted by Community Team to protect student information]

Steven_S
Community Champion

You should take this picture down right away, and edit it to remove the student's name. 

If you do not see anything at all about a submission, I would double check the options you give students for turning something in.  If you allow file uploads, it may be necessary to specify a list of allowed file types. For writing assignments I use .rtf,.txt,.doc,.docx,.pdf

Beyond that, you should contact canvas support, to see what (if anything) the student submitted.

0 Kudos
mvanmatre
Community Participant

I have found that if you are using an LTI, like Labster, you will not see a submission anywhere in Canvas, because no final product is ever truly uploaded to your instance. But some apps have a teacher dashboard, and I would assume that the completed assignments live there; hence, you'd go there for the review.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Steven_S
Community Champion

You should still be able to download the submission and open it outside of canvas. In the sppedgrader's the right-side column you will see "submission to view," the date it was submitted, "submitted files," and finally a link to any file the student uploaded.  Click that link to download a copy.

GSpray
Community Member

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  However, the right-side column with the features you mentioned does not exist.  Is there another place I might find them?

Steven_S
Community Champion

I think it might be easier to explain with an illustration.  Does this help?speedgrader.PNG

I had the same problem but it is not showing me any of those options. What should I do? 

[screenshot deleted by Community Team to protect student information]

Steven_S
Community Champion

You should take this picture down right away, and edit it to remove the student's name. 

If you do not see anything at all about a submission, I would double check the options you give students for turning something in.  If you allow file uploads, it may be necessary to specify a list of allowed file types. For writing assignments I use .rtf,.txt,.doc,.docx,.pdf

Beyond that, you should contact canvas support, to see what (if anything) the student submitted.

0 Kudos
vmkpete
Community Member

I have the same problem, but it is only with Google doc assignments. In order to grade those, I have to go to the assignment and click on the "submitted" link. If I click on speedgrader, I get the "no preview available." 

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 11.15.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 11.15.42 AM.png

Coolsplo1t
Community Member

samea

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

heath_brown
Community Member

My teachers are experiencing the same thing and downloading defeats the purpose of speedgrader. It's been 60 days since the original post and no Canvas team member has answered.