show students with "lastname, firstname"

Jump to solution
alvarso_uw
Community Member

In most of Canvas the default is to SORT students by "last name" BUT to SHOW students as "first_name last_name" in the list, which makes it extremely annoying (at least for me), to find students. I would be WAY easier if the display would be "last_name, first_name" instead.

I'm guessing there's lots of people who like "first_name last_name", that's why the default is like that, but it would be great if we had the option to show "last_name, first_name" for us that look students up by last name all the time.

Example locations to clarify as much as possible:

- People list

- Group assignment list (where you drag/drop into groups)

- Speed grader pulldown list

In all those locations, which I use a lot, I have to find the last name after the first name, which slows thing down a lot (my groups are 70+ students!).

The list shows

Peter Alpha

Jane Beta

Joe Gamma

Anne Delta

I want *all* of those lists to be:

Alpha, Peter

Beta, Jame

Gamma, Joe

Delta, Anne

Hopefully this was clear enough, but feel free to ask for any clarifications.

Thank you for any tips, help, or advice to propose this as an upgrade.

Alvar

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@alvarso_uw ...

I can understand where this would be helpful in other parts of Canvas (you can do exactly what you want in the Canvas Gradebook).  The proper place to suggest new ideas and enhancements to Canvas is over in the "Ideas and Themes" space here in the Community.  Here are some resources for you:

Instructure Community Guide - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Be sure to check out the section on "Ideas and Themes" in the above link.  Then, when you are ready, go to:

Canvas Ideas and Themes - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

...and then click on the blue "View and Submit Ideas" button.  On the following screen, click on the blue "Submit an Idea" button.

Hopefully this info will be a good starting point for you to create your Idea.  You may even find that a similar Idea already exists...in which case it's not necessary to create the idea...so as to avoid duplication.

I hope this will help.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes