Did you mean: 
mcnair

unpublished assignments in calendar

Jump to solution

can students see unpublished items in the calendar

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @mcnair  - NO; like anything else in Canvas, students will not see something until that specific item is published by the instructor.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @mcnair  - NO; like anything else in Canvas, students will not see something until that specific item is published by the instructor.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

A related question: Can I unview unpublished assignments in the instructor's calendar view? I want to keep unpublished assignments around because future semesters I may use them but it gets confusing to me to see all of them in calendar. And if I switch to student view it applies to every window using Chrome. I presume that happens in Firefox too.

This seems to be false, as a student just sent me a screenshot of an assignment in their calendar that is currently unpublished.

0 Kudos

In my experience, Canvas definitely puts the due dates of UNPUBLISHED assignments on the student's calendar.  I cannot tell you how frustrating it is, and I have not seen a solution yet.  Often when I copy the spring semester class to the fall semester, Canvas adjusts the due dates, and I tweak the assignments--leaving some unpublished because I don't want to use them that particular semester (but may use them in the future).  Invariably I will get emails from students about these unpublished assignments because they want to know how to complete them.  They cannot see them (they're unpublished) but their Canvas Calendar is telling them that the assignment is due.  From my experience, Canvas puts the due dates of published and unpublished assignments on the student's calendar.  I don't know how to fix that.

oneill_edward
Community Participant

Oh yes?

What about emitting unpublished items in a calendar feed?

0 Kudos
DanJ

I copied my previous course into the template provided by my district.  I unpublished every assignment in the course.  But my students can still see every single assignment for the rest of the term in the calendar.

My district's tech support suggested individually opening each assignment in the calendar and deleting it from the calendar.

Please tell me there is another way...

0 Kudos
oneill_edward
Community Participant

I have a similar experience.

I have Assignments in an Unpublished Canvas course.

They do not show up on MY Canvas Calendar.

BUT they show up in my Google Calendar--which is a feed from Canvas.

Please advise....

--Edward

Tags (3)
0 Kudos