cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Releases Q&A: 2021-04-17 New Quizzes Multiple Attempts First Score Option

Looking to discuss this feature from the 2021-04-17 Release Notes? Post a reply and start a conversation!

POSTING GUIDELINES
  • This topic is for feature discussion only—please share use cases, best practices, etc. regarding this feature
  • Please thread replies as much as possible to keep posts organized
  • Feedback to product managers about idea enhancements should be submitted in ideas.canvaslms.com (though linking to the idea here so others can find it is welcome)
  • Bug reports should be submitted to Canvas Support—bugs will not be triaged in this thread
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
20 Replies
Steven_S
Community Champion

Question about: "However, students can still retake the quiz for a per-determined higher percentage or score (such as for a module prerequisite)..." (under affected users in https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Releases/Canvas-Release-Notes-2021-04-17/ta-p/452092 )

When I reported that late penalties created a problem with a required score for a module requirements to "score at least," I was told that module requirements use the score in the gradebook, and that is the intended behavior. 

Now the First attempt can be posted in the grade book, but later attempts will somehow be eligible to meet module requirements.  How does that work?  Has that corrected the interaction with the late penalty and module requirements as well?

Hi @Steven_S,

Since this is just a New Quizzes update, I don't believe anything has changed in the way that late policies work with module requirements.

Cody 

0 Kudos
Steven_S
Community Champion

@ctitmus  I didn't think there was likely to be a fix to the late policy problem from this, but then how to subsequent attempts that do not get recorded in the gradebook (when first attempt is used) allow students to meet module requirements?  The problem with the late policy and module requirements is the same problem that will exist for counting first attempts and planning for later attempts to meet a "score at least" module requirement.  Specifically:  the score at least module requirement only considers the final grade posted in the gradebook.  It does not "see" the pre-late policy grade, and (unless you changed something) it will not "see" the future attempts that do not count count for a grade.

d_p_ruckley
Community Member

Can we have diable preview back as an option for links to files please as well as being able to choose whether those download icons appear? Not only does it mess up the way I've designed my courses, the download icons appear on email links which is just confusing for everyone.

Hi @d_p_ruckley,

I have heard others bring this up this week and was told that there is an existing bug ticket to address the Download icon displaying where it shouldn't. I'm not sure on timelines on when it will be fixed so you can absolutely reach out to Canvas Support if you would like updates on that.

0 Kudos
mwhite3
Community Participant

Just here to ask again if an edit button can be added to the Assignment Details Page for New Quizzes. Clicking Save is not a logical first step for an instructor who has previously created a New Quiz and wants to either preview the quiz questions, add a new question(s), or edit existing question(s).

Hi @mwhite3,

I'm not sure if there are any existing idea conversations for this, but I think it is definitely worth creating one or adding to that conversation. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

@mwhite3  It is possibly an oversight, but I have discovered that clicking the quiz title in grades still points to the quiz build page, not the assignment settings page (for now).  That should probably be updated to match other access to the quiz, but for now you have another route to get there without an edit button.

fritzs
Community Participant

In the same area, once you click "return" I am sent back to the assignments course navigation tab.  New quizzes are still found in the quizzes menu and that is where I have gone to edit them.  Moving them from assignments in the module menu but sending me back to assignments seems like a switch in logic.

0 Kudos

This is a change noted in our deploy for 2021-04-14; you can try it out in the beta environment now if you'd like!

Erin

Steven_S
Community Champion

In addition to the grades link going directly to build, the calendar and syllabus links do also.  For what its worth, the calendar and syllabus links are likely to be used in connection with adjusting a due or availability date, and so pointing to any part of the actual quiz is a problem... It would be reasonable for the grades page to go directly to moderate, though.

0 Kudos
DanBurgess
Community Participant

@mwhite3 , completely agree. 

Everytime I encounter this, I am concerned I might accidently change something and it will be updated when I have to click Save to pass through to the New Quiz. 
I am curious as to what feedback lead to this change.

arnold_cassie
Community Participant

As much as my math teachers are going to love this, it is frustrating that we will be able to keep first score but not automatically award partial credit on all the fun new question types. You already have partial credit functionality built in with the multiple select style questions, I don't understand why that principal can't be applied to the category, matching, and order style questions.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
degensp28
Community Participant

Needing to click the "Save" button to get in and edit a quiz is not intuitive. This needs to be broken up into two buttons or the "Save" button needs to be retitled in some clarifying way.

Hi @mwhite3,

I'm not sure if there are any existing idea conversations for this, but I think it is definitely worth creating one or adding to that conversation. 

0 Kudos
SuSorensen
Instructure
Instructure

We've been talking about changes to the action buttons on the TL;DR page here

cgraves
Community Participant

I'm not seeing this release in our instance this morning. I'm submitting a ticket to support as suggested in the post guidelines, but I'm curious if anyone else is seeing the First Score Option yet. Thanks for any feedback. 

0 Kudos

Nope, not seeing it either, was just going to post about it!  

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

This feature has been enabled in the production environment. Apologies for the delay!

Erin

0 Kudos