cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Releases Q&A: 2021-10-16 SpeedGrader (Submission Status Label Edits)

Looking to discuss this feature from the 2021-10-16 Release Notes? Post a reply and start a conversation!

POSTING GUIDELINES
  • This topic is for feature discussion only—please share use cases, best practices, etc. regarding this feature
  • Please thread replies as much as possible to keep posts organized

WHERE SHOULD I POST...?

• Idea enhancement feedback to product managers should be submitted in ideas.canvaslms.com (though linking to the idea here so others can find it is welcome)
  • Bug reports should be submitted to Canvas Support—bugs will not be triaged in this thread

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
10 Replies
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

This has a long-requested feature since the statuses were introduced in the "new" gradebook and I'm very glad to see this finally in place. Design-wise I don't think the functionality of the pencil icon is very intuitive to the teacher here. It would be nice to see this feature mirror the statuses in the grade detail tray where teachers click the radio button to change a status, and would be a single click instead of the two that are here. When you're grading a hundred students, that makes a difference. But, I realizes there a limited amount of space in that panel, and overall I'm just really excited that this feature is in the place where teachers are doing a significant amount of grading.

0 Kudos

Hi, @audra_agnelly! It's almost as though you were in our meetings as we discussed these designs. 🙂 The limited space is exactly what drove us to this particular design. We'd also discussed just allowing the grader to click on the label and adjust, but there are obvious issues with that when there is no label and one needs to be added. Also, we needed to be sure that the functionality was fully accessible for our graders that are reliant on keyboard only functionality.  

When working on a smaller screen, though, I'm noticing this pencil icon awkwardly overlapping or compressing other components in SpeedGrader, specifically the "Submitted" line. What was the design thinking behind putting the pencil icon beside/in-line with "Submitted" instead of beneath it, left-aligned with the rest of the content in the grading side menu? (Or potentially adding an "On Time" label to resolve the issue of there not being one when one needed to be changed/added?)

0 Kudos

Our team has been making some refinements as seen in the beta environment right now. They'll be in production on October 27.

Thanks,

Erin

Nhadley12
Community Participant

This is going to be immensely helpful, thank you so much! If we could also lower the number of clicks to do this while in gradebook that would be great! 

jbono
Community Member

This is a great feature, but when assigning the late label, how do you select the number of hours? The Canvas late policy allows you to select late penalties by hours or days, but this interface modification only takes into account days......a bit confusing?

0 Kudos

Hi, @jbono, the entry for days/hours late will adjust in SpeedGrader just as it does in the context tray in the gradebook based on what is selected by the user when setting the late policy in the gradebook settings.  

jbono
Community Member

Thank you. So this means the screen will change from enter the number of days to enter the number of hours in Speed Grader?

0 Kudos

That is correct. If hours is selected when setting up the late policy for the course, hours will show instead of days in both the gradebook and SpeedGrader. 

0 Kudos
jbono
Community Member

Thanks!

0 Kudos