Enable Pre-existing YouTube Captions

Jump to solution
JRawlinsARC
Community Member

Hello all!  I hope someone out there has an answer for this.

I have created numerous videos for my online course (at minimum, an intro, lesson, and summary video for every week).  I have created and edited the timing on all of these captions to make sure they are as accurate as possible.

Here's the rub:  I did all of that editing in the YouTube Studio upload interface, NOT Canvas Studio.  But I DID use Canvas Studio to add these videos to my course.  The captions work fine in YouTube itself, but they do not show up at all in Canvas Studio.  There is also no option on the actual interface students see to turn on the YouTube captions (screenshot of that in file ending in 090805).  There is also no option to tell Canvas Studio to use the pre-existing YouTube captions in the settings menu (screenshot of that in file ending in 091027).

Here's my question: Is there a way in Canvas Studio to enable the use of pre-existing YouTube captions?  Or am I just going to have to scrap that tool and embed the YouTube videos into a page directly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@JRawlinsARC ...

When you are working on your videos within YouTube Studio, do you have any options to download the captions in either a *.srt file or a *.vtt file?  These are two closed caption file formats.  If you can download your captions as either of these from YouTube Studio, then you can simply upload that file to the same video once it has been added to your Studio library.

How do I upload a caption file in Canvas Studio? - Instructure Community - 1702 (canvaslms.com)

Do you think this would help for your needs?

View solution in original post

0 Likes