Making Canvas Training Fun!

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

If you search Commons (public) for Canvas training materials, you'll get a solid array of resources! Whether it's  @canvas_admin ​'s "Professor-TA Training Course" or  @kmeeusen 's "Advanced Canvas Training Course" or stefaniesanders​' "Canvas' Best-Kept Secrets" (inspired by javascript:;), most of these resources are chalk-full of tips to help acclimate faculty to Canvas and enhance the training experience.

But then we find a gem that makes us smile, knowing there are so many teachers out there being creative with their trainings. This month, we discovered  @ebaker ​'s interactive course "Gamified, Self-paced, Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Training for Faculty". We couldn't help but import the course and check out the adventure for ourselves!

177761_pastedImage_17.png

Gamification of Canvas courses comes in many forms, of course (if you haven't imported  @jward ​'s "Badges for Learning" course, you should). But Baker does a great job by creating a sequence of activities with a classic form of in-page navigation. Nice!!

Do you have a fun way of designing courses? Share it to Commons!

Have you discovered something in Commons that people should know about? Oooh, tell us?

Want to import these resources?

Do a keyword search in Commons public: badges, gamify, gamification, canvas training, or any of the author names mentioned in the post.

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

7 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

I was lucky enough last week to participate in a live presentation of this at the Washington Annual Canvas Conference (WACC). Awesome presentation, and Erin did a great job of selling this technique for gamification using existing tools in Canvas.

I strongly suggest that everyone check this out. I am downloading  it to add to our Advanced Canvas Training Series we are putting together for our faculty!

Great job  @ebaker ​, and thank you!

Agent K.

ebaker
Community Novice

Thanks for this glowing review,  @kmeeusen . I'll be presenting again at NW eLearn in October.

ebaker
Community Novice

This was my first share to the Commons. I can't wait to share more.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

With your creativity and enthusiasm for Canvas, we can't wait for you to share more! I am particularly fond of creative uses of the native Canvas functionality.

Keep it coming!

KLM

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

If you're interested in learning more about training opportunities, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event T2T: Invest in Your Canvas Professional Development, which is coming up this Monday, January 30, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

davidferrell
Community Explorer

Great post!!! Way to level up with gamification!!

davidferrell
Community Explorer

Thank you!!