Ability to see where Student and Instructors are spending time within a Course

Jump to solution
bneporadny
Community Champion

First and foremost we are extremely excited about having Canvas provide us all of this wonderful data that we can pull and use as our institution deems necessary.

We were hoping for 2 things with Hosted Data Service. One the ability to more easily pull a grades by assignment report, which we are not able to and two be able to see the amount of time that our student and instructors are spending in class and big bonus would be to be able to break that out by the time they spent on each particular page within the course.

Canvas currently gives us the ability to see "Total Activity" time on the People/Course Roster page, but there isn't an easy way to get to that data and then be able to pump it up against other student and instructor data to be able to do some really in depth reporting.

I guess my question here is, is Instructure planning on adding additional tables or columns to tables that might fulfill the need/want of your customers to be able to see where students and teachers are spending the most time within a course?

1 Solution

Kerlene,

I am already able to pull the grades by assignments. Below is the query I am using to pull the individual grades by specific term or terms. Hope this helps.

SELECT DISTINCT

user_dim.name

,pseudonym_dim.sis_user_id

,pseudonym_dim.unique_name as email

,course_dim.sis_source_id as CourseId

,enrollment_term_dim.name AS Term

,enrollment_term_dim.sis_source_id

,assignment_dim.title

,assignment_dim.submission_types                               

,submission_fact.score

,assignment_dim.points_possible

FROM user_dim                               

INNER JOIN pseudonym_dim on pseudonym_dim.user_id = user_dim.id

INNER JOIN requests on requests.user_id = user_dim.id

INNER JOIN enrollment_fact on enrollment_fact.user_id = user_dim.id

INNER JOIN course_dim on course_dim.id = enrollment_fact.course_id

INNER JOIN enrollment_term_dim on enrollment_term_dim. id = enrollment_fact.enrollment_term_id

INNER JOIN assignment_dim on assignment_dim.course_id = course_dim.id

LEFT OUTER JOIN submission_fact on submission_fact.assignment_id = assignment_dim.id AND submission_fact.user_id = user_dim.id

WHERE enrollment_term_dim.sis_source_id in (input your campuses SIS Term Id's here)

ORDER BY course_dim.sis_source_id,user_dim.name,assignment_dim.title

View solution in original post