CD2: Assignment table Turnitin settings

Jump to solution
Jeff_F
Community Champion

Hello I am seeing a few oddities so I am posting the community to share and ask for guidance and feedback.

We have the following research questions:

1. How often is Turnitin being used and what is the usage profile? That is, what are there typical settings?
  2. What percentage of assignments permit students to see the similarity reports?
  3. What is the frequency of assignments that are set as a draft where the essay is not added to the Turnitin paper repository?
  4. Is there a follow up assignment that does add the essay to the paper repository?
  5. Did the Turnitin settings accurately copy from the template when the course was created?

To start answering these questions I've listed out all created courses and assignments for the past six months and filtered for assignments that have the online_upload submission type. Then added the following fields:

• turnitin_settings_s_submit_papers_to
  • turnitin_settings_originality_report_visibility
  • turnitin_settings_s_view_report

These are defined here:
https://data-access-platform-api.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/index.html#tag/assignments 

I should also note that we previously added a text string to all assignment titles that have Turnitin enabled. 'PLG1' is added to the assignment title when the student essay is added to the paper repository while 'PLG2' is added to the assignment title when the student essay is a draft and is not added to the paper repository. This enables quick filtering for TII enabled assignments. For example, this calculated field enables creation of a filter:

---
IF CONTAINS([Title], 'PLG1') THEN 'PLG1'
ELSEIF CONTAINS([Title], 'PLG2') THEN 'PLG2'
ELSE 'Not TII'
END
---

After creating a report using Tableau I noted a few issues:

1. The field 'Turnitin Enabled' is always null. As we added the PLG# text strings to the assignment names we do not require this field but it would be useful. Also, I imagine most everyone else wanting to review how Turnitin is used would need it.

2. While some earlier assignments here and there show data in the Turnitin settings fields, for the most part it is courses and assignments created after OCT 30, 2023 that have data in these Turnitin fields. Most everything else shows 'null'. This video depicts this:
    https://www.loom.com/share/61e64e19be074318bf63c474262d51ea?sid=01e124eb-59a5-4155-9b95-0a46ba6c7592 

3. For these courses/ assignments created after OCT 30, there are 406 assignments that have Turnitin enabled. When validating the data, we noted that a subset of 38 assignments incorrectly show 'True' for 'submit papers_ to' the database repository. In fact, these are each correctly set to False in the assignment as they are meant to be draft assignments.

I am curious if anyone else may have the need to answer these questions and if so, would you be so kind to explore these fields and report back your findings. 

Labels (3)
1 Solution
Jeff_F
Community Champion
Author

Hello all -

Support confirmed that the CD2 assignment Turnitin data fields are for the plugin version of Turnitin, not for the Canvas Plagiarism Framework.  I just replied to suggest that aspect be noted in the schema documentation.

While awaiting confirmation on the support request, one of our awesome staff wrote a Power Automate flow that web scrapes the Turnitin settings from the assignments and lists them out in an Excel file. With that data we can answer the questions:

1. How often is Turnitin being used and what is the usage profile? That is, what are there typical settings?
  2. What percentage of assignments permit students to see the similarity reports?
  3. What is the frequency of assignments that are set as a draft where the essay is not added to the Turnitin paper repository?
  4. Is there a follow up assignment that does add the essay to the paper repository?
  5. Did the Turnitin settings accurately copy from the template when the course was created?

Thank you, Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Likes