Adjust All Assignments + Files

jah1145
Community Novice

The following is an extension on James Jones' "Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page" Google Sheets application. The application itself can be found here: Canvas Update Tool - v6 - Google Sheets 

The application itself works the same way, setup, saving, and loading functionality are all the same. However, there is the now the option in the Canvas menu to 'Select Course' that gives you a drop-down list of courses.

Other feature additions:

- Load/save files

- Change if a file is published, unpublished, or restricted access (and restricted access can also be set by available from/to dates)

- Change assignment's grading type (percent, points, pass/fail, letter grade, gpa scale)

- Change an assignment's point value (value is in points no matter grading type)

- Change an assignment's submission type(s)

Cosmetic alterations:

- highlights true values and 'published'

- greys out values that shouldn't be edited for that row

21 Comments
James
Community Champion

Appa, you might want to go to my document and add a formal announcement there so that people don't have to rely on the search engine in the Community to find stuff. Without that, it just shows this page as an incoming link, but that can change as other people link to it.

don_bryn
Community Champion

Hi Johanna, I tried to take a look at the document, but I can only see your data.   There is no access to a canvas menu or functions that I can see. . .   And yes, I copied it to my drive first.  I don't know if it's a permissions issue or what but thought you would want to know.

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

I don't see the Canvas tool in the menu bar. Also, unless I am doing something wrong when I copy your file, I can not edit it.

Dr. John Boekenoogen

University of Oklahoma

jah1145
Community Novice

@don_bryn ‌  @jrboek ‌ I believe you, but I honestly cannot duplicate the problem. When I copy the file to another gmail account I have it works fine and has a Canvas bar. Just to confirm, you're going to File > Make a copy... ?

don_bryn
Community Champion

Yes.   I'll add a screenshot.   I even tried to completely delete the copy from my drive and go back to the original and make a copy, but there's no Canvas menu there either.  I've deleted the file from my Drive, and emptied the trash.  If I open from your link above, there's no Canvas menu, but I also cannot open the Script Editor, which makes me think your stuff is there but is somehow blocked by permissions.   I'm not guaranteed it still hasn't unlinked from my account and isn't showing me the first copy. . .  Google can be weird that way.

260641_Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 6.57.25 AM.png

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

I agree with Don. I have done the same thing. I am betting it is a permissions thing.

Dr. John Boekenoogen

University of Oklahoma

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

Well, I tried one more time and removed any and all copies of the program and it is finally working. 

Thanks

Dr. John Boekenoogen

University of Oklahoma

James
Community Champion

Don, is your screenshot of your copy or Appa's copy? It has a big blue "View Only" notice at the top, which probably explains the lack of the Canvas menu. I went in and made a copy, the View Only disappeared and after 8 seconds or so, the Canvas menu appeared, but the menu never appeared the version Appa shared (the one with the View only).

ixm7
Community Novice

I added a few more tweaks and fixes to this version:
Canvas Update Tool - v9 - Google Sheets 

rao_3
Community Explorer

I have tried all three versions of this and none of them work. The Script Editor tool just gives an error message when I try to see the error log. I am attaching a screenshot of this error message:

262319_CUTscripterror.png

rao_3
Community Explorer

It would be helpful to add a link to this page in the "Help" sheet, so that people are directed here to ask questions specific to the new functions.

rao_3
Community Explorer

I have used this in the past, but it was finicky. Now it does not work at all: The script prompts me for API settings, but nothing happens. If I try touse of the menu items, it just asks for the API settings all over again, but again nothing happens.

ixm7
Community Novice

Hi Rao,

Perhaps you are using an older version.

I used this version a few weeks ago and it worked fine for me:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NP-jaSbjyVO0eVlo9jNpXJcsKkSHWZDnZ2JV4ZO_CCI/edit?usp=sharing

If you still experience problems, please contact me directly (ixm7@psu.edu) and we'll do a screen share.

Regards,

- Ido

rao_3
Community Explorer

I will need to wait until after the holiday weekend to come back to this. After playing around a bit, clearing cache cookies and logins, now I can connect to Canvas and select a course. It does not populate the spreadsheet from Canvas. If I select "Load from Canvas" in the Canvas menu, it says "Running script" for a few seconds, then "Finished script" but the spreadsheet itself stays blank. The same behavior also occurs with private (incognito) window, and both in Firefox and Chrome.

rao_3
Community Explorer

P.S. Strangely enough, the script works for at least one old course, from Spring 2017. But it fails for courses from Spring 2018 (which is still open for students who got incompletes) and for upcoming courses for Fall 2018. These courses are all published. The original script from James Jones works OK. But I really want to be able to fix file dates as well.

jlondon
Community Novice

I just tried to use this and had a similar experience to that of  @rao_3  above. Everything seemed to work but when the script finishes the spreadsheet is blank. I was using it on a Mac version of the new MS Edge, so a Chromium based browser. If anyone has any ideas on how to get it working, please let me know.  Thanks!

ixm7
Community Novice

please contact me directly (ixm7@psu.edu) and we'll do a screen share.

ixm7
Community Novice

Here's a link to the latest version: Canvas Update Tool - v9.1 - Google Sheets  

jlondon
Community Novice

@ixm7 , I tried that newer version also and had the same result. I've got to head out now, but I'll try and reach out to you directly later as you suggested above. Thanks!

bpfingst
Community Participant

Hi Everyone.  It seems that there are multiple versions of this tool floating around.  Is the "Canvas Update Tool - v9.1" the latest and greatest?  I'm doing training on this for Educational Technology staff at my college soon and want to make sure I'm referring them to the best version of the tool.

Thanks!

-Brett 

ixm7
Community Novice

The latest version is V9.2 available from here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hPBCSrlm0oBPnhdj8Kqyw4mBlZFfOcb9D7B1JQD4pD4/edit?usp=sharing

It fixes a bug when the selected course is the first one in the dropdown list.

Regards,

- Ido