Customising Canvas skin

de_millington
Community Contributor

Hello all developers,

I wonder if anyone has managed to update their Canvas sites with new, clickable, global icons, and if you would be willing to share how you managed it? I have achieved this with limited success, so I'm looking to take this further. I shall briefly explain what I have accomplished and what I wish to achieve.

I have managed to customise our Canvas website by the addition of non default Canvas icons to the vertical global navigation bar. This was achieved with some custom CSS/JavaScript that we acquired from a Canvas source, then uploaded to the Canvas Themes area. Linking from the icon to a cross-college area within Canvas, or an external site, is easily achieved with some standard html code. Adding more of the same icons is easy by replication, but I am really struggling to add a different icon. Is there anyone else that has experience with this? This is what I have done so far...

I acquired a separate icon from a third party as a jpg, then converted it to an SVG on the freeware site "online-converter.com". I copied the CSS/JavaScript of the old icon into CodePen.  I then added code for the new icon into the space underneath and added some back-colour to make sure both icons display in the browser. I removed the back colour and then copied this code back into the JavaScript file and re-uploaded to Canvas. Both icons, however, fail to display.

For anyone wanting to view my endeavours, I have created an 11 minute video clip showing this, but didn't want to clutter this forum unnecessarily if someone already has a clear solution.

Any advice would be gratefully received?

Thanks

Dave

Labels (1)