Inconsistent nomenclature for course ID fields?

Jump to solution
palmarinich
Community Contributor

(I recently posted this in the Canvas Admins group, but it was suggested this group might be of help, too.)

I'm a brand new Canvas admin, and am working with our IT department to develop proper SIS feed files.  I've come across what seems like a substantial discrepancy in the names of some fields related to courses, and would like to get some feedback on whether it's just me, or if this might warrant a product suggestion.

Specifically, there are some required fields when creating a course, but they are labeled differently in three places (except "SIS ID," which is the same in two places).  The three areas I'm looking at are:  SIS feed file, Add A New Course (UI), and Course Details (UI).

In an SIS feed file, the fields are:

course_ID

short_name

long_name

In the Add a New Course UI, the same fields are:

SIS ID

Reference Code

Course Name

When viewing the Course Details for an existing course, the same fields are:

SIS ID

Course Code

Name

It took a bit of trial and error to figure out which fields matched what, and it's still a little tricky to keep it straight.  So, is it just me, or is this a little confusing for others?  Thanks for any feedback.

1 Solution
palmarinich
Community Contributor

I've opened a new Idea to request that these fields be given consistent names in the various locations.  Feel free to comment, or add suggestions for clarification, etc.

Thanks!

/ chris p.

View solution in original post