cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Pushing a Module Template Out to All Courses each Quarter

Our college purchased a course evaluation tool (Class Climate from Scantron) with a very limited Canvas integration. This integration requires that  link be placed in every classroom as an "External Tool" content item in a module. As a two-person office, adding this to 900 courses manually presents a bit of a challenge.

Our thought was to create a module template with this link, then push it out to all courses each quarter.  We have no idea if this is possible, and if it is possible we have no idea how to do this.

Does anybody have any ideas, or past experience with a Class Climate integration where they accomplished this?

We could sure use the help.

Thanks in advance,

Kelley

22 Replies
James
Navigator

@kmeeusen ​,

Oops - I originally misread External Tool as External URL.I updated the original instructions. Sorry about that.

Yes, it can be done using the API.

Prerequisites

With External Tools, you will need to configure it on the Account Level first before doing this process. You could alternatively put it into each course if the configuration needs to be different for each course. You will need the id of the External Tool for step 3 of the process. You can obtain that through the External Tools API or by adding it to one course and then getting the content_id from List Module Items method in the Module API.

Example: Use the List External Tools method from the External Tools

GET /api/v1/accounts/:account_id/external_tools

You may want to add ?per_page=100 to the end if you have more than 10 external tools and the one you want doesn't show up.

It returns a list of external tools. Find the one that you want and make a note of the id. That will be used in step 3 for the content_id.

Big NOTE! This assumes that you are not actually returning a grade back into the course. If you are, then you need to create an assignment and use the content_id of the assignment rather than the content_id of the external tool. According to the ModuleItem Object documentation, the content_id is the id of the object referred to applies to 'File', 'Discussion', 'Assignment', 'Quiz', 'ExternalTool' types

Procedure

Once you have that prerequisite information, you can do the following:

The flow is like this:

1. Obtain a list of courses where you want this to be added and then iterate through them
  2. Create a module in each course
  3. Create a module item in the newly created module for each course
  4. Publish the item and module ???

Step 1: You may already have a list of courses somewhere, if not, you can use the List active courses in an account method from the Accounts API. Specify the enrollment_term_id (using the Canvas ID, not the SIS ID, for the term).

Step 2: Use the Create a module method from the Modules API

POST /api/v1/courses/:course_id/modules

The only required information is the module[name]. You'll want the name to be unique across all the courses and identifiable to the students.

This POST should return a Module object, which will contain an id field. That is the :module_id needed for the next step.

Step 3: Use the Create a module item method from the Modules API

POST /api/v1/courses/:course_id/modules/:module_id/items

You'll want to specify:

• module_item[title] which is how the object displays on the modules page
  • module_item[type]=ExternalTool to specify it's an external Tool
  • module_item[content_id] contains the content_id of the external tool (see the prerequisite information)

This POST should return a ModuleItem object that will contain an id field that may be needed for the publishing

Step 4: Publish things ???

The create module and create module_item methods don't document a publish feature. That suggests that creating the module and publishing it are two different things. If it turns out that they come out published by default (I haven't tested), then you can skip this step completely.

Test the first three steps for a single course in our test site and see whether or not they come out published. If they don't, then you'll need one or two extra steps.

Step 4a: Use the Update a Module method from the Modules API to publish the module.

PUT /api/v1/courses/:course_id/modules/:id

The :id is the module id found in step 2.

The only thing you should need to put is module[published]=true

Step 4b: Use the Update a Module Item method from the Modules API to publish the External Tool in the module.

If the Publishing of the module automatically updates publishing of everything in it, this step will be unnecessary. But I haven't tested it, so I don't know.

PUT /api/v1/courses/:course_id/modules/:module_id/items/:id

The :course_id is from step 1, the :module_id is from step 2, and the :id is from step 3.

The only thing you should need to put is module[published]=true

Repeat steps 2-4 for each course obtained in step 1.

As with any POST, PUT, or DELETE command, test the whole thing in your test instance first. I generally use the live site if all I'm doing is a GET.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

@James ​

Thanks you, thank you, thank you!

If we pull this off, it will be our first API call. We will try this soonest!

Kelley

Do you have a programmer in your midst? You can walk though a one-time deal by hand but to do that many courses, you'll really want to do a script of some kind. APIs can be intimidating for the first time user, but they unleash a lot of power behind Canvas.

I was telling Kona last night that problems like yours are things that I would love to solve and it would probably be faster than explaining how to do it. With the libraries I've written, I could probably have it done in 20 minutes or so. Unfortunately, my libraries are heavily customized for our setup and not generally usable by others. On top of that, my online course we talked about at the Unconference has been consuming most of my time (only 3 days left). I was thinking that if I could get that Google Spreadsheet written that Dayton wanted for the evil grade distribution that would really make it easier to share solutions with people - I could just share a spreadsheet and then people wouldn't need to know API. Of course, Javascript isn't one of my primary programming languages so that's slow going too.

All that is a long way of saying that if you need help, just ask.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

James:

We have reached out to one of our programming instructors - we know when we are in over our heads.

Really appreciate your help.

You and Kona are real kindred spirits!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Awe, thanks  @kmeeusen ​! I think  @James  is pretty amazing (and always exceeds my technical expectations) so to be paired with him this way is pretty cool! Smiley Happy

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

By the way, Kona.

I am still very very far - as in a Galaxy far far away - from the heady heights of Level 5, but I did just now make 10th place in the rankings.

Out of 10,000 users, that ain't too bad!

canvas_admin
Community Member

@kmeeusen ​,  I would recommend you checking out the (if you didn't attend it in person) as it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Wow  @kmeeusen ​! I'd say that is pretty awesome and quite an achievement! Congratulations!! Smiley Happy

That looks like it would have been an interesting one to see, sorry I missed it.

I did notice they gave wrong information in the 15-16 minute mark about using SIS codes. There is a set of parameters that can be replaced by SIS codes. They mentioned writing an app that would convert SIS codes into Canvas codes, but that functionality is built into Canvas already and for many things, you don't need to.

They mentioned you can do lots of things, but didn't have the examples of doing multi-step processes. It seemed like what they were doing was calling the same API over and over. I didn't see, and don't use Postman to know, if it allowed the multiple steps that Kelley needed of using the information from one API call to make the next API call.

Still, a good presentation.