Error Message when importing from Moodle Room backup file into Canvas

Jump to solution
ringogli1
Community Member

I am importing a detailed Moodle Room course into Canvas (2.7 Gb).

I keep getting an error message that I am limited, "import wise," to only 2 Gb when doing the import.

Is there a way around this issue? Is this a school-specific issue (in other words, something set by the school administrator)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ringogli1 ...

Are you trying to import your Moodle course into a Free For Teacher (FFT) course?  Or, are you trying to import your Moodle course into a paid Canvas environment?  If you are using a FFT environment, those courses have a 500 MB limit.  If you are using a paid Canvas environment via your school, you'll want to check your course "Settings" screen to see how much available storage space you have in that course.  See the section called "View File Storage" in this Guide:

How do I set details for a course? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

How much storage space is listed in your course?  If it is less than your Moodle file size, then that is most likely the reason why you cannot import the Moodle file into your course.  You would need to speak with your school's Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Learning department to discuss if increasing the course size is a possibility.

Hopefully this will be of some help to you.  Good luck as you have these conversations with folks at your school.  Sing out if you have any questions.  Take care...be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hi there, @ringogli1 ...

Yes...totally ok to call me by my first name...no worries there.

Thank you for including that screenshot.  It looks like you are in your personal "Files" area.  I looked at my own Canvas account, and this is what I see...

Screenshot 2023-05-03 101751.jpg

It seems like this would be a permissions setting at the Canvas admin level, but I'm not finding a specific permission that is for managing user files.  There are permission settings at the Canvas admin level for course files...but not specifically for user files.

Have you tried speaking to your school's Canvas administrator or someone from your school's Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education department to see if they have any suggestions for you?  Beyond that, you might want to reach out to Canvas Support.

How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?

Regarding that option to reset your course...take a look at the first paragraph in the light-blue box of the Guide I linked earlier.  The first sentence says, "If you have permission..."  It's quite possible that your Canvas admin(s) have turned off the ability for you to reset courses on your own.  That's another conversation you'll have to have with them.  Resetting a course might be something only your Canvas admins can do for you.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes