Join Code Not Valid

Jump to solution
KJR
Community Member

I have read over other similar posts but found no answer. I am not new to Canvas but new to FFT Canvas. 

• I made my account using my District Google Login. I am piloting this for my small school to see if we can transition to Canvas from Google Classroom. 
  • I manually entered my students into my Canvas Course and sent invitations but my students never got them, not even the resend. 
  • I give them a special URL link. This WORKED, however, they never created a password so when they logged out they could not get back in. 
  • I set up my course for self enroll using URL or code. 
  • Then, I had my next class period of students try making new accounts and the "Join Code" continues to say "join code not valid."
  • I have had multiple adults check the code and try to make account and they cannot.
  • I have put in a help ticket for issues I am having but this issue popped up after I submitted my help ticket. 

Thank you for your help! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoahBoswell
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @KJR ,
Thank you for posting about this topic on the Instructure Community! I'm very sorry that you're having a hard time enrolling your students into your new Canvas course! I'm going to try to give some advice to help you get started using Canvas as easily and as soon as you can.

What I always recommend doing, is having your students do the enrolling themselves, and not do anything as the teacher, especially when it comes to free for teacher. I'm a fellow free for teacher user myself, and have found this is the easiest way to get things done.

I find that the easiest way to do this is to send your students the url with your join code that you can find in your course's settings. It will look something like this:  https://k12.instructure.com/enroll/JOINCODEHERE 

Usually, when students click on the link, they will prompted to either sign-in, or sign up to join the course. From there, have your students create their accounts and they should automatically be enrolled upon sign-up or sign-in. Speaking of sign-in, if the students never got the email you were talking about, have them check their spam or their recently deleted. Some messages might've also been blocked by your school / district, and if that's the case that would cause that issue as well.

If for whatever reason your course's enrollment link doesn't work, then the last-resort option would be to copy your entire course and have a new join code and course ID. Free for teacher provides you the ability to copy your entire course (this will not include enrollments, student grades, etc., however does include modules, assignments, pages, etc.), and you can create a new join code in there from your settings and have your students join that course. That would be a last-resort solution.

Do these sound like possible solutions for your scenario? I hope this helped you out in a way. Please always feel free to respond with any additional questions or concerns! We're here to help.

All the best,
Noah

View solution in original post