Re-entry pains

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

Summer's Almost Over!  So!   I promised myself 5 hours this week on the "facts modules" ... 

And bam!  Brick wall.  Seven minutes to figure out how to edit my module since "edit" means changing how much it's indented on the page... no, I have to duck in and quickly, quickly!!!!  find "edit" before the page moves to the "getting to 5" link that happens too automatically. 

Still, good to be back at it Smiley Happy 

5 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi Susan, and welcome back!

I am not sure what you mean by,

"find "edit" before the page moves to the "getting to 5" link that happens too automatically."

I can sit on the Modules Index page until the cows come home, and it is still there. Is this some kind of PC/Mobile page time out you are running into, because I can assure you it is not Canvas behavior? In fact, I have been sitting on the Modules page in my sandbox since I came in a 0630 this morning, because I am working on a project testing some stuff.

As for the module Edit functions, those are behind the standard gear icon that Canvas uses. The icon's appearance has slightly changed, but it is a gear. Learn more here How do I edit a module? 

As for indenting content in a module, that is also behind a gear icon on the same line as as the content title, and you can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10081-415241428 

I hope this helps, and it is nice to have you back in the Community.

Kelley

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor
Author

Oh, it's an iframe issue -- and it only took 7 minutes to get around the "brick wall..."   The external activity I'd included goes full screen in a few seconds.   I made it its own page. 

It was a quick instant reminder that no, making things in Canvas isn't plug and play -- and isn't really for students either, *especially* with math.   Good stuff is worth hard work, though! 

Now to explore student entry of fractions that look like fractions... 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Wow,  @sujones ‌, I was not even close!

Many apologies!

Kelley

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Inline-Frames (or anything in the html editor) does, indeed, venture well into the open land of Canvas that is fair to describe as "not pug and play." HTML fiddling is notorious for being a "trial and error" activity. Keep pushing though if it's what you want, we'll be here to help how we can. If you do a detailed write up of what you're trying to accomplish and what steps seem to be giving you trouble, someone might be able to suggest a solution or alternative. Otherwise, we'll keep up the moral support!

"You can do it!"

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor
Author

Yup I'll be working with more specifics and soon Smiley Happy  -- the support is a big part of why it's good to be back even as I yank hairs out (especially support that listens well and asks questions )  ...