cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sean_flaherty
Community Participant

Canvas Gradebook - Assignments equally and/or proportionally weighted?

I'm curious how many of you (or your colleagues) would like to see a feature added to the Canvas Gradebook that would allow you to easily weight assignments equally (or proportionally) regardless of the number of points.  Personally, this would make my life easier.  Also, I've found 4 different Feature Ideas recently which are essentially asking for this although each idea is coming from a slightly different point of view.  Unfortunately, the Feature Ideas that have come up for voting in the past have all fallen short of the 100 votes required to move the feature along in the development process.

Perhaps you have a homework group in your gradebook and you'd like all of those assignments to be weighed equally in your gradebook even though each assignment can have different point values... does that sound like something you'd like? 

Maybe within that homework group, you want to reward students who did well on a really tough assignment by weighing it twice as much as one of the other assignments even though it may have had the same or fewer points when you graded it... is that a feature you would use?

Maybe if/when you give exams, you'd like to simple let the test be out of how many points the test is out of instead of playing with the points so they work out nicely (50 points, 100 points, etc).  You could have a test that was out of 45 weighed the same as a test that was out of 62 weighed the same as a test that was out of 51... or have your final exam weighed more heavily even though it only had 61 points when you graded it.

Right now, everybody I know that wants to weigh assignments equally or proportionally within their gradebook has to play with the numbers, perform various calculations outside of Canvas (likely on a spreadsheet students don't have access to), and then plug in the new calculated values into Canvas.  The numbers lose a bit of meaning to the students this way and it's burdensome for the instructors.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to find out how many people would benefit from this feature or something like it so that I can rally the troops, so to speak, to make sure we get enough votes in the future.  Every other online gradebook I have used in the past has had this feature and I'd really like to see it developed in Canvas.

Thanks.

Sean

16 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

All, this discussion has now been shared to the K-12​ group, where an identical discussion, now locked, was previously underway. You can view the comments in the duplicate discussion here: Canvas Gradebook: Assignments equally (or proportionally) weighted?

mgill
Community Member

Hello. the gradebook is probably the most frustrating point i have encountered with Canvas. We love Canvas by the way. however the things that drive me crazy, Sean and Stefanie have touched on.

1) single tier weighting, no sub-weights

2) having to pick the specific point value for each question in an assignment. not being able to have an assignment worth 100 points total and then having Canvas automatically divide and assign points to each question.

I know you can do questions groups, but setting all of that up is very tedious. I would love to see these two things implemented. sub-weights are a very useful function. i have to think this would be highly desireable. and an easier way to assign point to a question or assignment seems like a no brainer as well.

Thank you Sean and Stefanie or starting this conversation

sean_flaherty
Community Participant

Micah, if you haven't already upvoted for , please consider doing so.  We're still very short of votes for that idea and could use your support for that idea in this voting cycle.

As I've written in many other places within the Canvas Community, the ability to clearly and separately define "out of" and "worth" values would be incredibly useful and I think it would address much of what I've seen others asking for.  For the life of me, I can't understand what would be so complicated about implementing this but, that said, I am not a programmer. 

For the most part, any voting on these topics is happening without a great deal of discussion.  Also, from what I've seen, those who downvote a feature idea are less likely to explain why they are not supportive of the idea - Not voting to support it is one thing, downvoting is actively seeking to keep it from being implemented.  I'm curious why these features are downvoted because I'm not seeing the down side.  Also, I think some of the downvotes are coming from the programming side so maybe my lack of programming background is what is causing me to think this wouldn't be such a difficult thing to implement.

i upvoted. hope this helps. we are pretty new to Canvas and this whole community. when we signed up with Canvas that was one of the questions i asked about in the gradebook and was told the gradebook was very flexible and i could set it up how i wanted. as it turns out it is "limited flexible". anyway, i agree with you. this seems like some easy functionality that would add tremendous depth to the grading options but i am not a programmer either so perhaps it is very difficult. here to hoping this picks up traction.

jcb5021
Community Member

Sean - I appreciate you opening the debate on whether the in-assignment group weight calculations should apply equally or proportionally. I would find more value in equally weighting the assignments within an assignment group because that is my intention even when certain assignments have to be worth more points. I missed the last few rounds of voting, but I voted on the submission that is currently open. Thanks!

eoverton70
Community Participant

YES, YES, YES, YES!!

I have typically over 50 online assignments that are all worth different point totals. I would like to be able to weigh them "proportionally" within my "assignments" group.

I also have 5 exams, plus the final exam. I would like to be able to weigh these "equally" in my "exam" group.

too complicated if you have many assignments. I have over 50 and I need them weighted proportionally.