cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Inviting Multiple Classes to one BigBlueButton Conference

Jump to solution

I teach two sections of the same course. I want to set up one conference using BigBlueButton and invite both classes.  The only choice I am getting when I want to invite students are the students in the class I am logged into on Canvas when I set up the conference. I have tried starting two separate conferences but then the audio does not work in either. It would be much better if I could merge the two conferences into one, or just be able to invite both classes into one conference to begin with. Anyone have any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

sue.kuestner@lwtech.edu, Canvas Conferences do not accommodate creating conferences across multiple courses; each course is individual and discrete, and as bgibson@uncfsu.edu​ notes, circumventing that might run afoul of FERPA. If you feel comfortable that you have addressed the potential privacy issues, I've seen a solution suggested that involves the creation of a group that lives outside of your courses (keeping in mind that if you are not a Canvas admin, the admin will have to create the group for you). The admin would add the students from both of your courses--and you, as the group leader--to that group, and you would then be able to conduct a single conference that includes all of your students. The steps required for an admin to set up the group are detailed in chofer@morainepark.edu​'s blog post Paper Pumpkin - Campus Clubs and Groups

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Funny, but I don't think of the technical issues of how to do this, but if you should do it according to FERPA.  New FERPA requirements for cross-listed courses!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

sue.kuestner@lwtech.edu, Canvas Conferences do not accommodate creating conferences across multiple courses; each course is individual and discrete, and as bgibson@uncfsu.edu​ notes, circumventing that might run afoul of FERPA. If you feel comfortable that you have addressed the potential privacy issues, I've seen a solution suggested that involves the creation of a group that lives outside of your courses (keeping in mind that if you are not a Canvas admin, the admin will have to create the group for you). The admin would add the students from both of your courses--and you, as the group leader--to that group, and you would then be able to conduct a single conference that includes all of your students. The steps required for an admin to set up the group are detailed in chofer@morainepark.edu​'s blog post Paper Pumpkin - Campus Clubs and Groups

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you. I did not think about FERPA. I will have to keep this in mind.

Highlighted

Thank you for your reply. I will forward your idea on to our Canvas admin, who will hopefully have an idea about how to avoid violating FERPA. It might be that it can't be done, but it is worth looking into.