Inviting Multiple Classes to one BigBlueButton Conference

Jump to solution
sue_kuestner
Community Novice

I teach two sections of the same course. I want to set up one conference using BigBlueButton and invite both classes.  The only choice I am getting when I want to invite students are the students in the class I am logged into on Canvas when I set up the conference. I have tried starting two separate conferences but then the audio does not work in either. It would be much better if I could merge the two conferences into one, or just be able to invite both classes into one conference to begin with. Anyone have any ideas?

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

sue.kuestner, Canvas Conferences do not accommodate creating conferences across multiple courses; each course is individual and discrete, and as  @bgibson ​ notes, circumventing that might run afoul of FERPA. If you feel comfortable that you have addressed the potential privacy issues, I've seen a solution suggested that involves the creation of a group that lives outside of your courses (keeping in mind that if you are not a Canvas admin, the admin will have to create the group for you). The admin would add the students from both of your courses--and you, as the group leader--to that group, and you would then be able to conduct a single conference that includes all of your students. The steps required for an admin to set up the group are detailed in  @Chris_Hofer ​'s blog post Paper Pumpkin - Campus Clubs and Groups

View solution in original post