Add Blank PDF in Files

0 Likes

Canvas already has a PDF editor and is able to add folders to the courses. However, it would be helpful if we can use the PDF editor and create a PDF, as it may do on assignments. Students (and probably instructors) are able to upload PDFs into their files, but Canvas cannot create a blank one. This could be helpful for making a drawn assignment and submitting via file upload using the share button, or to make our own types of papers without dealing with external sources.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@Jgouken 

Would you elaborate on "Canvas already has a PDF editor and is able to add folders to the course"?

Jgouken
Community Member

@Stef_retired 

Sorry, must’ve been a mistake in wording. I meant to say that you’re able to add Folders in your Files, and Canvas has default folders for submissions and your courses. What I tried to say was:

You’re able to add folders, but you’re not able to create a blank file (without uploading one), so I think there should be a way to create a blank file within Canvas.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Jgouken 

Thanks for adding this clarification. So to confirm, you're interested in seeing Canvas pursue a deeper integration with a third party such as Adobe (PDF)?

Jgouken
Community Member

@Stef_retired

If that is the third party application that supplies the advancements, then yeah! I’d love to see Canvas with tons of more features with this and more third parties.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Jgouken Thanks! We'll move it forward for further conversation as a partnership request.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!