Allow folders in Pages

(257)

The Files section of Canvas allows folders for organizing files. Pages does not. Why the awful inconsistency in the user interface? I currently have 30+ pages that I've created in - all in flat directory structure. I'd like to be able to organize them, you know, like Files and stuff I have on my computer.

Comments from Instructure

Please refer to the update from the product team here

406 Comments
cmyers6
Community Member

This would be VERY helpful to organize content.  

oksanchez
Community Novice

I would love to have the ability to use folders within pages.  I am a Kindergarten teacher with many pages.  It is not efficient to have to scroll through my list to find the page I want to link to.  It would also be wonderful if a search option existed in pages as well.

pwoolard1
Community Member

Our elementary teachers are trying to create entire courses using 1 course card. For ease of access for students. With six subjects of content in Pages, their pages are already over 100 long.  Pages needs to have a way to create folders to organize as opposed to one long list.  This is not effective or user friendly. 

jcucchiarelli
Community Novice

Yes-the number of pages is  already overwhelming and we're in the 2nd month of school.  Please create a folder option for pages.  Thank you!

dperpich
Community Participant

I'm confused.  A related Idea, posted in August 2020, appears to have been closed because of duplication and a Canvas Community member directs the conversation here. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Group-Pages/idi-p/387782

But THIS Idea also appears to be archived,... maybe even in 2017.

The lack of more customization here is a game-stopper for our organization as we try to share complex modules via Commons.  Instructors who also use Pages on their own simply cannot navigate the chaos.  Let alone students.

torresga
Community Member

Thank you for submitting this idea

studyvs
Community Participant

I agree that there is a need for some optional organization of pages, and I echo other comments that this is not for my students, but for me to keep things organized. I have a lot of pages (at least 5 or 6 per module). I’ve come up with a numbering system to help me keep it organized, but I still have to scroll through all the pages to get to lower ones. I recently noticed there’s a “search” box at the top of the assignments section, which filters based on the text entered. This would also be helpful to add to the pages section too.

ThisGuyRic
Community Member

OMG YES PLEASE YESYESYESYESYES I NEED FOLDERS FOR MY PAGES!

KGoddess
Community Novice

I'm new to Canvas this year.  As I started creating pages I realized they would add up quickly so I learned to edit them to keep the number down.  But now the number of pages is climbing and I really want folders so that I can organize them.  I am overwhelmed by all that I've had to do to learn this LMS in a short amount of time and learn how to teach digitally and now synchronously.  We can create folders in all aspects of digital life so naturally I looked for that option here. No dice. Then I thought, if they don't have folders, maybe I can move the pages up and down so I can at least sort them.  I can't do that either.  😞

Please, please, please, add folders to our pages and also consider giving us the ability to move our pages/folders around.  Sorting by date, edit or name isn't nearly as good of an option.  THANK YOU!

NorthgraveW
Community Member

This would be very helpful

gdulaney
Community Explorer

I think this sounds like a good idea. It would be very helpful.

brianhazelton
Community Member

Please add this feature, my pages are out of control.

debbie_johnson1
Community Explorer

Hopefully this will happen sooner than later! 

miller3637
Community Explorer

This is something that was requested in 2016 and still not available??
Organization for pages is way overdue.  Modules don't cut it. 

jgjimenez
Community Member

This is a very much needed feature. Can we please have more organizational options when it comes instructor needs. Folders for pages would be a huge benefit.

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

YES PLEASE!!!

jerry_troupe
Community Participant

👍

seldredge
Community Member

Great idea! Please do this Canvas people!!!

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

As others have mentioned the organization would be great.  In my case I have 3 or 4 pages for content that I use with each chapter.  I would prefer each page type have its own folder so that it would be easier to find the page I am looking for.  Or better yet a folder for each chapter and a folder for my page templates.  Then pages for each chapter are in their own folder and much easier to find.  Now I may have 60+ pages for a course and everything is one list and a pain to search through.

Covid has changed the way a lot of things are done, and now it is driving changes for the LMS's 

semry1
Community Member

I agree it would be helpful