Allow option to treat Multiple Answer question type as series of True False.

0 Likes
(1)

I would like an alternative way for partial credit to be awarded for this question type. As it stands now  a student might earn a total of zero points even if some of the selected options are correct.

I think Multiple Answer questions should just be treated as a series of true false questions. You either check the box or you don't, and so you either get the credit for that box or you don't depending on whether the option is correct or not.

So for example let's say a question is worth 4 points and has options A,B,C,D. Now suppose A and B are the correct options and C,D are false, but the student selects A and C. They would get 2 points for correct selecting A and correctly not selecting D. They would not earn the points for B and C since they should have selected B and un-selected C. Thus they would get 2/4 points.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
James
Community Champion

Canvas is not developing classic quizzes anymore. With new quizzes, you can use a stimulus question and then attach multiple true/false questions under it.

What you're asking for is what I thought happened the very first time that I used a multiple answers question. I was surprised to find out that wasn't the way. Since then, I've come to understand that the way Canvas gives partial credit is the only way to do it within the existing framework (same point values for each response).

A problem with making multiple answers questions act as a series of true/false questions is that you end up awarding points for not answering the question. In your example, if a student doesn't answer the question because they ran out of time, they chose to blow it off, they felt none of the answers were right, or for whatever reason, then they still get 2/4 points for correctly not checking C and D.

Canvas chose to only award credit for actions that students take, not for a lack of action. If you forced the students to select an answer, which is what a true/false question does, then the problem is solved. If you make it a stimulus type question, then you can have a series of them.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

@cvalle 

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. James's solution is the one I'd use for this scenario: in New Quizzes, create a stimulus, and then attach true/false questions to it:  How do I insert stimulus content in New Quizzes? 

As James has noted, our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation. In New Quizzes, instructors can choose to award partial credit with penalty or require an exact match for Multiple Answer questions as detailed in  How do I create a Multiple Answer question in New ... 

Since we're no longer developing on the old code base, we've archived this idea. We encourage you to start trying out New Quizzes. You'll find resources in the New Quizzes User Group, and if you don't see the ability to enable the new quiz tool in the settings area of your course, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for guidance on its availability at your school.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

cvalle
Community Participant
Author

I stopped using classic quizzes last year. My suggestion was for new quizzes. I did not consider the issue of active selection so I appreciate that point.

The problem with the stimulus approach is that you would have to add each True False question and the stimulus as a separate entry in an item bank. This means instead of just one click to add to a test it would be several steps: First you would need to hunt down each sub question (and there is no guarantee that they would be near each other, especially if you add questions to be included in the stimulus at a later time) and then you would still need to go into the quiz and move each True False question into the Stimulus. 

I suppose if I could item bank a Stimulus question and have it save its association with the sub questions I would be happy with this solution.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cvalle  There's an idea conversation for that! 🙂  Please join the discussion at  Attached questions stay fixed to stimulus in item ...