Canvas LMS Development setup issue for Linux/Mac too difficult

0 Likes

### Summary:
We are going to start a project using Canvas LMS, and we are currently in the phase where we are setting up the project for the team, some of us have Mac and some Linux and some Windows too, my question is why do we need DNS server like dory or VM like dinghy for MacOS, what is the benefits of them, as we could just contain each part in specific docker images then connect them together through a docker-compose network, what might be different if I use `localhost:3000` instead of using `docker.canvas` and saved a lot of hassle, as right now the script doesn't work as expected all the time, also sometimes it works on Mac but not on Linux and vice versa, I wanted to create separate docker images for the project as eg. (ruby's, postgres's, cassandra's, and redis's images)
then use docker-compose to connect them together, and use the args in docker-compose to specify as the current environment is production or development, use the env vars to specify the database name, username, and password and so on.

I am asking as I might missing something, big project like this must take that approach for a reason, after all, so I wanted to understand why as the docs doesn't explain why.

### Steps to reproduce:
1. using stable branch first time.
2. using master branch a second time

### Expected behavior:
1. worked on macOS doesn't work on Linux due build problems, or dory DNS fails and I need do `dory up` periodically.
2. worked on Linux doesn't work on macOS due build problems, or specific images we don't have permission to access it, or some unknown hard to debug error or problems with dinghy VM as it already exists, or can't find config.json file, and cant just reuse the existing VM.

### Actual behavior:
Build the project and make it up and running ready for development.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.