cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column Width in New Gradebook: empty margins and text wrapping

Column Width in New Gradebook: empty margins and text wrapping

(3)

When I look at the columns in my gradebook, I noticed that about 2/3 of the width is used by *empty space*.  Further, if I resize my columns to try to reduce the empty space (to allow me to see more assignments on my screen at a time), the empty margins virtually destroy any characters in the assignment title of the column.

My suggestions:

a) Make the empty margin a much smaller percentage of the column width  AND

b) Allow the title of the assignment to have text-wrapping, so we can make the columns smaller without losing the titles of each column.

15 Comments
Community Member

When I switched to the new gradebook I was disappointed that the assignment names were cut off when there was so much extra margin space in the column.  There seemed to be more space in the old gradebook for the assignment names.  I know that I can resize the column to view the entire name, but having text wrapping and a smaller margin would be very helpful.

Surveyor II

I would also like the option to list due dates in a row below the headers and above student names. This would help those of us who audit for prompt grading, etc., tremendously.

Surveyor

Hi Joe, A work around on this is that I've added succinct dates (11/1 for Nov-1) in my assignment titles. It also reminds students when things are due. I do admit its one more thing to keep up to date semester to semester.

Surveyor II

Yes, but the due date is a field in the database that should be part of the gradebook, without taking the time to do what you suggest.

Surveyor

This should not require a vote, since it's a return to previous code and was caused by a change that was not requested by this community. Canvas should change this now.

Surveyor

Oh, and if you have many columns and scroll too fast to the end, the column head row will no longer line up with the columns at the end... you actually end up with a bunch of white space.

308487_pastedImage_1.png

Community Member

I would also be in favor of this option. In general, it would be great if there was no need to manually manipulate the gradebook to find potentially hidden muted assignments and have that word shown by default or also designated by a color.

Community Member

In the "new gradebook" it looks like the whitespace on the right of each column name is so there's room for the hover-menu, and the whitespace on the left of each column name is there to match the right side so that the assignment name is centered and thus "pretty".

But I really don't like choosing "pretty" over "useable", which is what appears to have been done here... The current design makes the gradebook huge! I have over 40 assignments in some of my courses (which is why they have short names like "HW02" and "Ex10"), and with well over half the gradebook space devoted to padding, it severely limits my ability to quickly see student "trends" (I can't feasibly just look at each student -- my courses also have well over 100 students). I need the big picture view of an efficient gradebook, and I don't want to waste time exporting to Excel...

Anyway, the menu drop-down button could be a smaller symbol, even one that is always there (not just on hover) so that the lack of centering (which would happen if the left padding is reduced) doesn't look "bad".

Finally, "Out of 20" or whatever takes up a lot more space than "20pts" or "-/20" or something else just as informative but more concise would require.

Surveyor II

I agree with the above, and would like to add that it would be great to automatically extend the width of the column to reveal the full title, if needed, just like in Excel (with double click); thus avoiding having to move the column manually to see "Manual" grading post policy, etc.

Surveyor II

How about adding vertical assignment titles (again, like Excel can) so the columns aren't unnecessarily wide?