Customize default settings for notifications / hide based on Role

0 Likes
(11)

It would be very nice to be able to customize the default notification settings based on role type.  For example, we want to be able to disable and hide notifications for our observer role.  

When we tied in our SIS integration and the observer roles were created, we were not quite ready to have parents in Cavas yet.  They kept getting a ton of notifications and there was not a way to stop it unless you did it on a one by one basis.

Also, not sure why some of the notifications settings are even an option for an observer.  For example, blue print sync should not show for an observer because if you highlight over it, it says instructor and admin only.  

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

lrobertson4
Community Member

This would be especially good for all k-12 institutions. THis probably works alright for college, but for k-12 where parents are observers we really need the change to moderate notifications and it should be pretty easy to do this! 

jkokladas
Community Member

This is extremely crucial especially since all our parents Prek-12 are getting a ton of notifications and we don't want them to get any unless they choose to opt into them.

We need the ability to set the defaults per role and to block/turn off notifications per role

cwindsor
Community Participant

This request has come about after integrating Zoom into Canvas.

Every time a Zoom session is scheduled it sends a notification to the students.  These notifications are blowing up people's phones and emails.  Despite our best efforts to show people they are responsible for their own notification settings, this is impractical for some administration tasks.

Last week we had a situation where we had to schedule 400 classes after students had been enrolled on the courses.  It would have been useful to be able to Globally disable notifications for maintenance during that time.

If we, as Admins, are able to send a global message to specific users or all users, we should also be able to turn off notifications to specific users or all users for a short period of time.

nbritton1
Community Novice

Yes, very good idea. I can imagine the students just getting confused & annoyed with the "spam".

cwindsor
Community Participant

@Stef_retiredHi there,  I feel that my idea that you merged into this one is different to this idea.  We're not asking to be able to set notifications per role.  We're asking for something like an on-off switch for notifications globally. While I understand they're part of same group function, it's not the same thing.

Can you you unmerge these, or at least let me know why Canvas thinks these are the same thing?  I just need to understand better.

AdamPain
Community Novice

Good idea! 

grace2
Community Participant

Great idea!

klynip
Community Member

Essential and fundamental functionality. Yes, please.

silvapuras
Community Member

Please do. Thank you!

ClaireBorja
Community Explorer

Good idea!

LizGouldman
Community Member

Would love the ability to turn notifications off by role - especially observer - and/or have the default  OPT-IN instead of teaching them how to OPT-OUT. 

tgaspich
Community Member

Would also support this move greatly; K-12 schools with an SIS integration with Canvas have a lot of observers who unknowingly start receiving notifications once the integration kicks on.  Would be really well received at those schools.  

SharonTSS
Community Member

Yes, please! I agree with the need, esp at K-12.

Chris_Naylor
Community Novice

As a teacher, I have to be signed into all classes for our organisation to be able to see data on students, whether I teach those classes or not.

I don't want to get loads of notifications for grading that I can not mark, so if I can restrict the notifications to just my classes, that will be great. Will also help all the other teachers in the same boat if there is a workaround.

shaelosmom
Community Member

This would be fantastic for us. We SIS import advisors as observers, and it causes faculty to receive tons of unnecessary email notifications that they will have to fix every term by course (particularly if they DO like notifications for the courses they are teaching as it seems the settings are based on user account level settings).

Would love to be able to set up default notifications in advance to opt-out for observer pairs or add a column to the CSV file with text that would disable or enable all notifications for "observed students," and let faculty opt-in if they choose to rather than forcing them to take the time to opt-out every semester.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.