Designer to-do list for shared courses

0 Likes

Is there a way to create a shared to-do list for a course for which there are several designers?

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@KathleenLepage 

Thanks for sharing this idea. In Canvas, instructors' to-do lists are composed of items that require grading. What kind of items would populate designers' to-do lists, and how would Canvas generate them?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KathleenLepage  Subsequent to my initial response I thought about this a bit more, since I started my career in education as an online instructor and instructional designer, so I started thinking about what I might have found valuable when I was working on designing courses as part of a team. Has your team considered using project management software such as Trello to organize course design tasks for designers?

KathleenLepage
Community Member
Author

@Stef_retired Thanks for the question. I was looking for ways for designers to communicate with each other while the course is being developed or edited, so everyone who shares a course can share ideas with each other directly within the canvas platform. I'm new to using Canvas and am collaborating with 3 other designers on a course and didn't know if this feature already exists.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KathleenLepage 

Thanks, I understand. Canvas doesn't have anything natively built into it that would accommodate designers' to-do tasks. We have an idea currently being discussed at  Customizable Checklists to Add to Modules , but that idea is specific to tasks within a course, whereas designers' tasks presumably need to live outside of courses. 

And because this needs to be independent of course enrollments and isn't associated with graded activities, it would require development of a new feature. We can move this forward for further discussion, but for the moment, I strongly recommend using existing available project management software. We use Trello in our organization for design tasks all the time, and the company offers a free version that you can sign up for here: Trello 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.