Different Help Options for Different Sub-Accounts

0 Likes
(10)

For institutions using one Canvas instance for multiple colleges or campuses, it would be nice to have the ability to have the Help menu (in the Global Navigation menu) be able to be changed per sub-account and not just by role.

We now have our 100% online courses in their own sub-account with accompanying structure.  These courses have their own help desk that is not available to the rest of our faculty or students.  With the current structure, you can only differentiate by role so you would have to put in the description who should use what links which just creates a mess and many people do not even pay attention to and get routed to the wrong support.  If the menu could different by sub-account, we could just show faculty and students the support resources that are applicable to them.

I am aware that sub-accounts are course based so if you have courses in multiple sub-accounts you would potentially have differing support options showing but this is the same with people that have multiple roles (such as faculty and student) and they end up with the same result.

Currently we are accomplishing this with custom js, but it would be nice to have a Canvas supported method that would not break and worked on both web and mobile (app).

-Nick

5 Comments
robotcars
Community Champion

Absolutely.

We are doing this with custom JS too. Adding links to the global Help, using JS to globally remove them and Sub Account JS to enable it in that account. It's silly.

nwilson7
Community Champion
Author

@robotcars have you figured out how to do it for the App?  I am using several of the pieces of code you have posted in this community (thank you by the way!!!) but have not figured out how to make it work on the app yet.

robotcars
Community Champion

@nwilson7

Welcome!

I have not invested much time into JS'ing the Mobile App. The few times I started, I stopped with difficulty trying to get the App (via App Store) into iOS simulator to utilize debugging/inspector tools. I'm also not entirely sure that anything besides the content block in the APP is HTML based.

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!