Disable inline previews of YouTube Videos from New RCE

0 Likes
(9)

YouTube links added via the Link icon in the New Rich Content Editor (New RCE) display as a link. However, when a user copies and pastes the image instead of using the Link icon, the inline preview appears (Canvas Support advised us that this is because the formatting does not include the HTML that Canvas includes when using the Link icon).

Right now, there are only two options to fix it.  Users can edit it with the HTML editor, or they can remove the video and re-add the link via the Link icon. 

Our Idea suggestion is to allow the Users to disable the inline-preview directly from the New RCE Link Options. 

This option is available in the Current RCE:

Disable.CurrentRCE.png

This option is also available in the New RCE for linked course documents:

Disable.NewRCE.jpg

We would like to see that "Disable in-line preview" display option in the Link Options for youtube links in the New RCE just as it is for linked course documents.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

DrRoty
Community Member

I would like "second" this motion. I often use YouTube links in a bulleted list in my Canvas pages. The inability to disable inline previews in the new RCE adversely affects the flow and design of my pages.

borko
Community Novice

Absolutely -- this is very important for instructors who simply want control over the visual appearance of their course materials. These previews are great for some, but some of our instructors see their forced nature as an imposition. As an admin and instructional technologist who can only recommend annoying workarounds (like creating bit.ly links for every video), I agree!

peter_lombardo
Community Member

I think this is a great suggestion and would truly help save time for us to build and maintain classes in Canvas to help increase the user experience.

gregory_stone
Community Member
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived