Due Dates and Available until dates on Modules & Hidden feature

0 Likes
(2)

Many teachers and students find it much more efficient to organize, use, and complete assignments through the Modules page on CANVAS. What is missing however, are due dates and available until dates like we can see in the Assignments page. This is a much needed feature to help students and teachers stay organized as Assignments are usually organized into categories but Modules we organize based on units, weeks, days etc. An additional feature that would be great is the option to hide closed assignments so that students' pages are not so overwhelming with work. Please let me know if you need clarification. 

Charles Cabrera

William Paca Middle School

ccabrera@wfsd.k12.ny.us

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@ccabrera 

Thanks for sharing these ideas. We have several conversations currently underway around this requested functionality, so please add your use cases and ratings to:

Modules need a "Lock After" Feature - Canvas Community

Hide locked Module title/contents from students be... - Canvas Community

Turning to the second idea in the prompt (starting with "An additional feature," the Idea Conversations forum accommodates discussions focused on a single request. You can read more about how this is beneficial to members in How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? Please write a new idea that includes only that one.

In light of the discussions already underway, we've archived this idea.

Thanks!

ccabrera
Community Novice
Author
Hey Stefanie,
Neither of those posts contain anything I was mentioning about having dates displayed on the assignments in the modules page. What I am referring to is that on the 'Modules' page under each assignment, the dates should be shown as they are shown under each assignment in the 'Assignments' page. 
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ccabrera 

I'm sorry to have misdirected you! I immediately focused on due-and-availability dates on the modules rather than the individual assignments within those modules. We'll move this forward for discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

...and with that having been done, we'll still need you to edit the post to remove the second idea starting with "An additional feature" and submit that as its own standalone conversation prompt. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

t_furnell
Community Explorer

Just to explain this from my point of view, with a couple of screenshots:

Currently on the Modules page in Canvas, published quizzes/assessments with "not available until" or "due" dates don't have this information shown. So on the Quiz listing students see:
t_furnell_0-1613036521096.jpeg

But on the modules page they just see:

t_furnell_1-1613036521097.jpeg

I totally agree with the idea that this information should be shown on the modules page too, as the students will otherwise not know if a quiz/assessment is not available, or if it is imminently due.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to everyone who has commented here. It's been in Moderating status for some time as we awaited the requested edit. Given that the conversation is garnering numerous responses to the first idea posed in the discussion prompt, we've taken out the second idea (by striking through it) so we can formally re-open it as a standalone idea. Those who are interested in that second idea might want to add their comments to Add filtering to Student View of Grades 

terry_authement
Community Member

I want students to be able to see the availability of assignment or quiz in the module right next to the due date. I often allow online students a range of days and not a specific date to take quizzes, but in this blended world my in-person students take the quiz on a specific date.

rmitchell1
Community Member

Has there been any movement on this?  I too believe the availability dates should be shown in the modules.  If it is already being done on the assignments page, can it not be done for the modules as well?  It would save everyone a lot of time and trouble.  

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.