Eliminate Duplicate Outcomes created from Import/Sync Between Blueprint and Child Course

0 Likes
(2)

We love the Canvas blueprint courses that allow us to work in teacher teams to provide a guaranteed and viable curriculum for all of our students.  Our HUGE problem is that when we do so, the outcomes placed in the blueprint class that populate in the associated classes duplicate whenever we create something new in the blueprint class and move it to the associated class.  The result is a very confusing Learning Mastery Gradebook for both teachers and students.  When students go to the Learning Mastery Gradebook, they find several sets of outcomes with duplicate rubrics in each.  They have no idea how the information reflects the progression of their learning.

The duplicated outcomes seem to share the same outcome ID, but because the assignment with rubric is created in the blueprint class and then moved to the associated course, the outcome travels in as a duplicate both in the Outcomes folder and in the Learning Mastery Gradebook. There seems to be no workflow for teacher teams who work together (best practice) to avoid having duplicate outcomes. We have worked with Canvas support/engineers, who suggested our best option was to submit our problem here with the hope that a fix could be put on the Canvas roadmap.  Our other option is to notice the duplicate outcome, detach it from an assignment before we grade it, reattach it using the original outcome, and go from there.  That's not a sustainable workflow. 

We have been hoping that an outcomes dashboard would be provided that would provide a cleaner interface for students and teachers to see outcomes data and use it to drive learning, but we've been told that this outcomes dashboard is no longer being considered for development. 

We are trying very hard to personalize learning by focusing on the learning and not grades and points.  Canvas was supposed to be the tool that opened that door for us.  Now it's become the impediment.  This change would go a long way to helping all educators and their students focus on learning. Ultimately, we want to take advantage of the Learning Mastery Gradebook so that both students and teachers can look at the evidence of learning there and easily understand which outcomes need to be addressed so that we can plan next steps in learning.  Thank you!

Lisa Wathen-Canvas Instructor and Admin

Duplicated OutcomesDuplicated Outcomes 

Student View OutcomesStudent View Outcomes

Duplicate Outcomes in one folderDuplicate Outcomes in one folder

Outcomes PageOutcomes Page

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

lkloehn
Community Member

I am having the exact same problem with duplicating outcomes. In fact, now they are tripling. How can I prevent this from happening every time I copy an assessment from one course to another? 

lisa_wathen
Community Participant
Author

@lkloehn 

Here's what my CSM shared with me about the duplicate outcomes.  "As long as all Outcomes are being pulled from the root level throughout Canvas, and for as long as Direct Share (Send To and Copy To) isn't used, teachers should be able to find and import Outcomes into their course, while attaching them to their own rubrics. They can even use the Import Course Content function without causing Outcomes to duplicate."

I have used the following scenarios to make sure the problem is resolved, and I had not duplicate outcomes in the LMG, but I did have duplicate rubrics sometimes.  

1. Created a rubric in the blueprint and synced to the child course.  No duplicate outcome in child course.
  2. Created a rubric in blueprint and used the content import tool to move it to the child course.  No duplicate outcome in the child course.
  3. Created an assignment in the blueprint and attached a rubric created in the blueprint that is also already in the child course.  Synced blueprint to child course.  No duplicate outcomes, but a duplicate rubric was created with a (1) after it.  
  4. Created an assignment and rubric in the blueprint class and used the course import tool to move them to the child course.  No duplicate outcomes. 
  5. Created an assignment and a new rubric in the blueprint. Used the Direct Share to copy these to the child course.  No duplicate outcomes. 
ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.