Encouraging Early Submission of Work Through Extra Credit

0 Likes

I use the feature that deducts a certain percentage of points and it works quite well. 

I encourage my students to turn in their work before the weekend by giving them 5% extra credit for doing so. The students that take advantage tend to submit a higher caliber of work than those who wait until the last day. 

Can you create something similar to the late work feature that says if you submit by x date, you'll get an additional x percentage added? 

Thanks

3 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

pmarcoux
Community Explorer

I would like to encourage students to submit work early. Therefore allow me to provide a certain percentage of the assignment grade if it is submitted more than 24 hours early. 

For example, a discussion board response will get an extra 5% of the total points if it is submitted before 24 hours of the due date.

Rather than using the "stick" approach and penalizing late assignments, you use the "carrot" approach and reward students  who complete work well before the due date. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.