Extend assignment deadline for one student from Gradebook pop-out menu

0 Likes
(5)

Can we add a Gradebook function in the student grade pop-out menu that lets instructors extend a deadline for a single student for that assignment? Right now we can change the listing of an assignment (e.g. from late to on time), but if a student asks for an extension, we need to go to the assignment and work through the assignment editing framework. It would be much more efficient to just do it in the pop-out. This is especially true when a student needs extensions for all assignments in a given module. Going through 3, 4 or 5 separate assignment editing pages to extend deadlines for the same student takes a while. Updating the date a handful of times in the pop-outs for each assignment would be way faster.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@IUinstructor 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader discussion, you might also be interested in contributing to this related conversation: Bulk Assignment Edit for a Single Student - Canvas Community 

emileerummel
Community Explorer

I would also add that a designation of the students who have received extensions in the gradebook would be helpful for professors so as they are grading they don't mark something as missing when they have granted an extension. Currently there is no way to see this in the gradebook and requires instructors to have to have another way to keep up with who got what extension.

CarolynMay
Community Novice

As an instructor, I agree with the beneficial option of color coding individual assignment cells in the gradebook for those students who have been given an extension.  The color code option is available for late, missing, and excused assignments so it seems reasonable to add a color code for due date extension.  For instructors who juggle multiple class sections with large enrollments, a quick glance of the grade book with a color code to show the assignment a student was granted an extension would be helpful.  It would also be convenient to have a pop-up window (right-click on the assignment cell) where a grading note either to the student or to both the instructor and student could be utilized.  This way, the extension due date could be quickly viewed.  

blee
Community Explorer

I would also like this.  It's far more often that you need to extend multiple assignments for one student than it is for extending one assignment for multiple students, which is what the current configuration supports.

barbara_filkins
Community Member

Here's the issues -- I have several students in a class that have several late assignments.

I would like to be able to re-open late assignments on a student by student basis -- in other word effectively going in the student view of the gradebook and opening all the late assignments for that individual student rather than having to go assignment by assignment.

In other words, I am looking to be able to go into Student One and change the due date on Quiz 2, Assignment 3, and Discussion 4, then do something similar for Student Two and Student Three. As opposed to now where I go into Quiz 2 and make a new due date for Student One, Student Two, and Student Three, then the same for Assignment 3, then the same for Discussion 4

Barb.  

jackiecc2020
Community Member

I agree with the comments above and specifically had searched this thread out for the exact same request. The options given above regarding a pop-out menu and color coding all seem like the easy way to add this in. Even easier, though, might be to select the student, then select ALL assignments the student needs extended (which could be from a comprehensive menu list or even better, just a menu list that shows what the student is missing) , and then those assignments could be clicked on and assigned an extension date all at once. This would save SO much time! The color coding would still apply. The number of students who miss a week or more this year due to Covid has been enormous. However, even after Covid, we will have kids who are out due to sports injuries, wisdom teeth removal, the flue, etc. Anything that reduces our time inputting and allows us to focus on other things is both of great help and is greatly appreciated. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.