Filter To-Do list by type

0 Likes
(4)

Currently, when viewing the student To-Do list, all information is placed in the same list. This includes quizzes, assignments, announcements, calendar events, etc.... This can lead to a large list of unimportant items taking up space, such as multiple calendar events that do not pertain to the student, or announcements that have already been discussed prior.

There should be a way to filter this To-Do list, to sort through the items appearing in the list and selecting which type(s) to display. This would allow for easier viewing of important dates such as assignment due dates for all classes or quiz due dates, without having to close out of all other calendar events or announcements. Adding a checkbox-like filter would allow the selection of one or more types of item to display, and simply hide everything not selected.

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@tdj1  Before we move this forward for additional discussion, have you explored the List View for students How do I use the to-do list for all my courses in ... - Canvas Community ? While it doesn't do everything you've listed, it does provide an easy-to-absorb compact view for students.

Thanks!

tdj1
Community Member

@Stef_retired I have indeed tried the List View for organizing the calendar. While it does help more than the other two views, it still leaves a bit to be desired. The list view shows all items ordered by date, which is fine on its own. However, when searching for the dates that matter most to me (knowing when assignments/quizzes/discussions are due) this view becomes tedious to go through. With so many other events being shown, scrolling to find when an assignment is due becomes a hassle, and for larger projects farther into the future it becomes a pain. While going to each individual class and viewing the assignment tab is an option, that also takes a long time to do. Having the option to see only when certain types of items are due would make it easier to know what to focus on and cut out all the extraneous items that matter less.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@tdj1 Thanks for your quick response! We'll move this forward for broader discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

samtheant
Community Novice

Student here, 

The calendar and list views are mostly useless to me because they become filled up with office hour and discussion section events that are irrelevant to me. There is currently no way for me to hide these events, so there's no way for me to see all of my assignment due dates at a glance. I feel that adding a filter to the calendar/list would be a relatively easy fix that would be a huge benefit to a lot of people.

neb1
Community Novice

I think this is a great idea, currently trying to use and update a wipe board with all of my tasks is a hassle and I often forget some of the more long term assignment dates. Having a way on canvas to see all of my assignments in one place with the ability to add my own events would be very useful.

cw11
Community Member

The planner sidebar on the dashboard currently shows all assignments, calendar events, quizzes, etc.

Right now, it is very difficult for users to distinguish between a calendar event and other plannable items. Adding a way to filter the dashboard sidebar items would greatly enhance visibility and improve user experience. Then, the sidebar wouldn't be flooded with recurring calendar events and thus users could clearly and easily see their next items.

It would be great if this was simply a checkbox to toggle between all and only assignments, quizzes, etc., and not calendar events. This checkbox could be labeled "Exclude calendar events" and be located at the top, next to the sidebar title.

Ideally, the checkbox state would persist when navigating from any page. Thus, the setting could be a part of the user's cookie or session store so the setting is saved. Whenever the checkbox is checked or unchecked, the user setting is saved and the sidebar items are reloaded.

SurabhiJohn
Community Novice

The student to do list is very busy.  Students get overwhelmed when trying to figure out which assignments they need to complete.  It would be easier to locate assignments if it was filtered by class.  Students end up with hundreds of assignments as the year progresses.  Organizing by class can alleviate some anxiety.

Berryk21
Community Novice

Add filter options to students to-do list. By course, by week, etc.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone - A new Idea has surfaced, and I feel that you may find it helpful too!

Dashboard - To Do - Order 

MICHAELRAIMOND
Community Novice

I think that it would be beneficial for student to be able to edit what things show up on there To-Do list for example, I have announcements in my To-Do list that are annoying to have to clear out to have to see my real assignments.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.