Give rubrics (including Peer Review) the ability to save without submitting

(16)

Currently, assignments with peer reviews or rubrics attached to them do not allow the user to save their scoring and/or comments before submitting. While the Rubric will state "Save Comment" on the bottom, the button’s name is misleading. Instead of saving, it will submit what has been entered into the rubric. After pressing "Save Comment", the user cannot make any alterations to the rubric as it is considered submitted. Many students have reported accidentally submitting an incomplete rubric when they were attempting to save.

The rubric also does not save automatically and leaving the rubric window will clear out any scoring or comments entered. As of now, a user would have to complete the entire rubric scoring in one sitting, without leaving the rubric window. The inability to leave the rubric window prevents users from being able to cross-reference the assignment while going through the criteria.

I suggest there be two buttons displayed at the bottom of the rubric: One being the actual save button, the other for submission.  

Below is my screencast recording the issue and a discussion thread in Canvas community further describing the problem. When brought to Canvas Support’s attention, I was informed that the "Save Comment" button is not bugged and that submitting the rubric is its intended function.

Recording of Issue:

http://recordit.co/45M9bEIzEq

Canvas Discussion Thread:

Peer Review Issues

26 Comments
keliim25858e
Community Participant

Just wondering where we are at with this?

lenz
Community Participant

@keliim25858e 

"We" are nowhere because INSTRUCTURE doesn't really seem to give a rat's a$$ what users (as opposed to purchasers) need or want. 

Sorry to be so blunt, but I've just spent the better part of an evening (AGAIN) trying to figure out how to do something that 1980s word processors could do, but CANVAS can't.  And, just like we (users) have discussed this saving issue, we have also discussed the formatting issue I'm trying to solve 🔴to death🔴 on various CANVAS forums.

In conclusion, don't hold your breath.  And don't spend hours, days, and weeks of your life like I have trying to find solutions that don't exist.

kyh802
Community Explorer

@lenz and @keliim25858e 

Yep, you're absolutely right. After a year of regularly posting on this thread about this MASSIVELY DISRUPTIVE issue, the Canvas moderator here told me to report the issue to the team at my university that is working with Canvas so they could report it more directly to canvas. I took it to that team, that team got in touch with Canvas directly, and want to know what Canvas told them? That I should write about it here on this discussion board. You've got to be KIDDING ME.

I am not at all surprised to have found out that the Canvas moderator who told me to report to the team has since retired. She must have been so exhausted from all the Canvas Users yelling at her about the problems with it.

kyh802
Community Explorer

My apologies. This was the thread I first commented on and got told to report to the team. It's a thread on the exact same issue, however. https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Auto-Save-Rubrics-or-Give-Save-Warning/idc-p/4... 

We are indeed shouting into the wind.

olian
Community Explorer

You definitely cannot go back and add new comments or edit a peer review if you have the students use a rubric. The rubric is locked once they hit save the first time, there is no way for them to reopen the rubric for editing the points or any embedded comments in the rubric. They can add a new overall comment, but that is all, so this is still problematic if students wanted to save progress and come back later or grade something that is continuous and not related to a one-off assignment (which is what we want to use this for).

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.