Google Doc External Tool Submission: Direct Viewing of Annotated Feedback

(1)

Receiving feedback and making revisions is a crucial part of the learning process, particularly in skill-based subjects like language and math.  I would like to be able to provide feedback in the form of direct annotations on an assignment in Speed Grader and have those annotations visible to students while they work on revisions. 

Currently, I can provide annotations in Speed Grader on work that students submit through an external tool like Google Docs.  However, students can't see my feedback when they open the document for editing and thus can't use the feedback to make revisions.  Why must the interactive feature of Google Docs disappear when I use them in Canvas?  I would like the annotated assignment feedback to show up for students when they open the assignment for editing so that they can use the feedback to improve their work.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @schneiderk ‌. Would you add clarifying details to the idea description that will allow community members to distinguish between this and the idea currently open for voting, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9698-google-drive-annotation-tools-in-speedgrader" modifiedtit...

schneiderk
Community Novice

Hi Stephanie,

My apologies, but I can't find a way to get in to edit this submission.  To clarify: "Google Drive Annotation Tools in Speed Grader" asks for the annotations to be visible in the original Google document that students open in Google Drive (which also makes a lot of sense).  I am asking for annotations to be visible to students when they simply open their assignment in Canvas. This would allow them to revise their assignment directly in Canvas with the annotations in the same window.  The process would then be simple and straightforward: submit the assignment, receive feedback directly on the assignment, open the assignment and revise based on the feedback.

If this needs to be added to the original submission, I would need directions on how to open it for editing.

schneiderk
Community Novice

What I have seen in this forum is teachers asking for feedback to be visible to students in a straightforward manner.  One of the submissions asks for this to happen in the direct Canvas assignment, which I also mentioned yesterday (and which was considered therefore a duplicate idea).  The submission you referenced today asks for this to happen via Google Docs.  I am asking for it to happen when Google Docs is used as an external tool, but within Canvas so all the student has to do is open the assignment in Canvas.

I hope you can see that we are all asking for the same thing, but we've parsed our ideas into different routes. That's what I mean when I say this is a "global" problem with Canvas.  The problem is that the process "work-feedback-revise," which is so seamless face to face, needs to be made seamless in Canvas, too.  I don't care which of the three proposed routes you take (though taking all of them would be great); the overall problem needs to be solved.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on the request,  @schneiderk . I've opened it for voting with a slight revision to the title to reflect that it is specific to submissions made through the Google Doc external tool.

aubrey2
Community Member

Does this suggestion have a fix? I am running into the same problem and cannot find a solution. I have students submit work using the external tool Google Docs and when I annotate using DocViewer on my speed grader, the students have no way of seeing my feedback when they open up their Google Docs in Canvas.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.