Hand-written input for assignments and quizzes.

My students are always frustrated when having to do math on a computer because it's so much harder to type things in than hand-write them. I'd love to see a feature that would let them do just that. Specifically, I'm thinking that it would be great if they could have a "hand-written response" box (like the Rich Content box) where they could write in quiz answers with a stylus on a tablet. I would also love them to be able to pull up an assignment, write in their work by hand, and submit that online (I realize this is possible to do with a few extra steps using a PDF, saving it, etc., but the simplification of having that available in Canvas itself would be superb).

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

41 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for checking back!  We do not have an update at this time.  We'll check back in a couple months.

william_wallace
Community Novice

My needs are focused specifically on drawing for now.  Freeform drawings are essential with basic editing like eraser, undo, etc.  Having some basic shapes like rectangles, lines, lines with arrows would be great but then would need the ability to manipulate (size, move, rotate).

Having an equation editor would be nice but handwritting is OK for my needs.  A Myscript like capability would increase the usability significantly once students became more disciplined with their hand writing.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Friends,

Handwriting recognition is not something we may solve natively; however, we will look to see how we can best support this idea. We will consider options and update as we can.

Kind regards,

Jason

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

This is not handwriting recognition. I like to have the kids do a

worksheet and sometimes have them take a picture and I grade off of the

picture. If the camera isn't clear enough then I can't read it.

I am not interested in handwritten recognition. That will never work with

physics nor with students who can't write well.

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

Oh woops I was talking about an idea that I just submitted that involved

easily inserting photos directly from a webcam.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Bill Chandler <william.chandler@ccsdut.org>

william_wallace
Community Novice

We use OneNote and I have put worksheets into OneNote.  Students type and draw "over" the worksheet, create a PDF, then submit to Canvas.  That eliminates some of the "can't read" situations.  But drawing legibility still an issue but is the human not the technology.

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

I might be able to do something similar with a google drawing. Thanks.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 5:27 AM, william.wallace@indianriverschools.org <

drimmer
Community Contributor

Better late than never...

1. Access isn't an issue: our school is going to inform students about what device they need to bring to school as we transition to BYOD - if it need to be touch screen with a stylus, then we'll tell them that.

2.Formula -builder wouldn't provide the awesome hand-writing reader that  @Jeff_F ​ showcased.

3. A third party app or LTI partnership or whatever would work if it was all accessible from within Canvas.

drimmer
Community Contributor

This is BEYOND fantastic - I have been needing something like this in my classroom, but I never knew it! Smiley Happy

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

Have you seen the "MathPrint" technology in the newer TI calculators. It

is amazing. Just give us MathPrint writing access from within CANVAS.

Mathprint technology is cool because students can put things on the screen

like they would appear on paper.

https://education.ti.com/en/us/products/calculators/scientific-calculators/ti-36x-pro/tabs/overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zXGY6Pdb0Y

You can have the square root of x to the 4th power all over the sum of

twenty five squared minus 45 to the 5th power. It allows multiple levels.

It really is quite nice. It really has helped my physics students do

better because they often mess up order of operations on a normal

calculator.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 7:48 AM, drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk <

drimmer
Community Contributor

Thanks for this ChandlWM​.

I've taken a good browse of the options and there are others that are similar, but not as good as MyScript.

My problem is that the options all seem to be apps to download and I have no idea how one embeds them into Canvas - I suspect you can't. @Jeff_F ​ might know about this...

tac2179
Community Novice

1) At my institution, this would not be an issue. Many of our students have tablets.

2) Yes

3) No cost would be preferred, but a low-cost licensing fee may work

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

krhughes
Community Novice

Very specifically do NOT need handwriting recognition -- I would use this for chemistry drawings.

salcos
Community Explorer

Really need this feature for our Math, Science and Computer departments. Maybe this can be added as a question type option in the new quiz (quiz next). We are looking at being able to proctor our students while handwriting their calculations in Canvas quiz or assignment using a pen and tablet.    

pmead1
Community Novice

We have proctored, testing centers on several of our college campuses that are equipped with Microsoft Surface tablets.  We have disabled WiFi and Bluetooth on the tablets and they connect to the Ethernet with a short adapter cable.The feature I would like to see added to Canvas would be to have an area that can be added to Canvas tests and quizzes, much like the rich text box, that allows students to use a touch sensitive tablet or other device with a stylus to hand write answers.  There is no need to convert it from handwriting to symbols, instructors can read it just like a paper test.  Our instructors use their MS surface tablet to mark up the tests in red and return the graded test to the student in canvas.  So the test never goes to paper.

As has been pointed out advanced Math and Chemistry course testing often present questions where students need to show their work. Touch screen devices used with a stylus are an intuitive means for students to write out their work.

Currently, our instructors create tests in a PDF.  Students login to canvas on a surface tablet, a proctor allows them access to the test using a password,  the student downloads and saves the test. The proctor then removes the adapter cable so the tablet can't be used to look up answers or communicate with other students while the tester is working. Then the person opens the test in a PDF editor that allows them to write out their answers.  When complete, the tablet is plugged into the Ethernet they upload the test to canvas where the instructor can access the test on their tablet and comment and grade the test.  The process is cumbersome and lacks security.  This process also does not take advantage of the Canvas time allowed for testing feature.

The LTI solution using ClassFlow does not seem to fit this need.

pmead1
Community Novice

Don't get all twisted up with handwriting recognition, it's not needed in most cases.  Just need a way to capture formulas and graphs written with a touch screen and stylus so a student can show their work.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Colleagues

I put forward an Idea for the use of stylus in DocViewer which is gaining interest and also has some good comments. Please feel free to add yours and/or vote for it https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8810-use-of-stylus-with-docviewer?sr=search&searchId=ff1dc04b-...

T‌ouch input is no longer the sole domain of the iPad. Creating this functionality for a range of touch sensitive laptops would also go someway to counter increasing threats from OneNote!

I believe that this sort of functionality should be in place for all devices (it is frustratingly in place for some aspects of the iPad via PDF assignment).

Although not keen to pay any more for this, I might be watching what Inkerz are doing with their integration plans.‌

pmead1
Community Novice

Jason,

1.  The primary application for this capability, that I am interested in, is for College and University level midterm and final exams.  For use on homework, worksheets and other projects there could be a lack of access to technology for individual students however our STEM learning center does have enough tablets to accommodate students without their own equipment.  For midterm and final testing our testing centers have the tablets needed.  So, given these circumstances, access to technology is not a concern.

2.  The formula builder is wholly insufficient.

3.  I've looked at many third party apps and the one's I've seen don't reach the level of sophistication required.  We currently use XODO and it does what we need but would like to see that capability imbedded in a Canvas quiz. XODO PDF Reader & Annotator 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.