Highlight daily assignments, links, and pages in modules

0 Likes
(1)

Context: I teach high school and my modules are broken into units (argument, rhetorical analysis, thematic analysis, etc.). Very frequently, I'll have students struggling to identify which assignment, page, or link we're covering today because I have so many things posted to my module. It would be so nice to be able to highlight the individual assignment, page, and link tiles each day so that students have an easier time navigating the pages. Obviously, teachers would have to go through and highlight their courses each day (it would be cool if they could pre-highlight, say on Sunday, for the whole week, but baby steps, right?), but it would really allow a cleaner, more streamlined experience for all users.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@Maurice1191 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Did you know that you can do this right now? Admittedly, you won't be able to highlight specific module items with a different color—which would not be consistent with accessibility guidelines for using color—but you can definitely denote specific items and modules by copy-pasting an emoji to the left of the items that need attention on that day.

Here's an example of how that would display to students (I found these emojis on Emojipedia):

highlight module and items.pngWould that work for you?

vierra_s
Community Member

I am an instructor, but am currently talking a course on Canvas. It would be helpful if a student could mark up the text as they read and study module pages. This way they could reference it later without having to write everything down.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived