Home Page

"Announcements" needs to be an option for home page

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cruth  Welcome to the Canvas Community! This is a very nice feature of Canvas: instructors can display announcements on their course home pages and can choose how many announcements to display, up to 15. This has the advantage of putting announcements front and center while still maintaining the integrity of the contents instructors position on their home page. You'll find instructions for setting that up in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13115-4152682262 

As this is existing functionality, we've archived the idea.

cruth
Community Novice

Thanks for your reply, Stefanie. I have already made 15 announcements visible on my home page. But my suggesting--allowing the instructor to make Announcements the home page--is, in fact, not "existing functionality," because you cannot do it. Every other LMS in the known universe lets you do this, I fail to see why Canvas (which, overall, is the best LMS of the many I've used) does not. If you are happy with the announcements showing at the top of another home page, don't make it your home page. But I fail to see why you will not allow me to do so.

Thanks,

Chris

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @cruth ‌, yes, I fully understand what you're saying. For context, when we developed this functionality we used the use cases provided by our members in the comments under https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6463-announcements-as-home-page and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1048-announcements-page-as-course-home-page in the design process.

We'll open your idea for voting so that we can gauge overall community sentiment for this change.

cruth
Community Novice

Thank you very much! How does one vote?

And, why would anyone vote against it? What possible downside could there be to adding an option like this?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cruth , to vote, users first need to be logged in, and then can click on the Vote Up/Vote Down arrow that displays directly under the score. We encourage users who downvote an idea to post their rationale for so doing in the comments, but it's entirely up to them.

cruth
Community Novice

Thank you again, Stefanie. I somehow failed to notice it was right at the top of the page. Just like my students...

MelissaKoomson
Community Novice

Please make Announcements a Home Page option!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.