Announcements as Home Page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Canvas should allow the option of having Announcements populate the homepage.  I post weekly announcements in my course and I want students to have immediate access to that info when they first login into the Canvas home page.  Forcing students to click to announcements reduces the likelihood they will read the announcements. Announcements as home page is a basic feature of any LMS and I think it is a glaring omission that Canvas does not offer this feature.

Comments from instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-07)

16 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

stefonikbenjamin​...

This request has already received a lot of votes here, , but it was archived.  However, there is a note from Instructure near the top as well as some additional feedback from  @scottdennis ​ at the bottom.  Maybe your submission will move forward to the next stage of the voting process.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016. Smiley Wink

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

jeanne_kerl
Community Novice

Our Law School instructors have been asking for this feature. Thanks for submitting it!

dpt11
Community Novice

This was something we used to be able to do, but they took away this past summer. I don't know why they took it away, but it certainly upset a lot of my instructors. I'm happy to support its restoration.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for mentioning the feedback from Scott Dennis. Like many moving from other systems, it seems strange that this is not an option for the Canvas home page. It may be true that the notifications system in Canvas makes the obvious placement of Announcements less of a need, but there are likely users who have reduced their email notifications to things they view as essential, like grades and conversations. While we cannot force an announcement to email (like a certain other LMS), it would ease the anxiety of instructors if we knew that students saw our announcements when they accessed our courses.

randolm
Community Novice

I agree 110%.  I wonder why it was deleted?  PLEASE bring it back . . .

ahayson
Instructure
Instructure

Could not agree more, to us it would make a lot of sense for the announcements section to be accessible on the Homepage.

This would allow us to display general and/ or important information to students before they move onto their modules.

Also gives a great personal touch, and makes the system seem less robotic if they can see we are making the effort to engage with them on a regular basis.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

FYI ... a similar Feature Idea which I linked to in my first reply (above) and also here: has recently been moved to the "Product Radar" stage.  Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

210876_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.