In Canvas (e.g. Stanford), automate transfer of reading list from Syllabus to Files

0 Likes

Setting up my Stanford course on Canvas, I was told (in today's Canvas tutorial by Stanford staff) to cut-and-paste or type my reading list into Files, and preferably organize it into weekly folders. But that whole process should be automated with one click, because the weekly reading list is already in my Syllabus. Once that new script has run, of course I should be allowed and encouraged to edit the result before publishing it to my students—but I wouldn't have wasted time entering the same information twice.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

2 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @AmoryBLovins -

Items in Files are uploaded. So, if you already have the items listed/uploaded on the Syllabus page, you'll be able to sort them in Files. (When you upload an item using the RCE from anywhere in Canvas, it'll find its way to a separate folder.)

In Files, you can still add the separate files per week and then drag-and-drop or move the files you have listed on your Syllabus into the one labeled by week, as requested in the tutorial.

How do I move and organize my files as an instructor? 

No cut-and-paste nor an additional upload is needed. You've already done a lot of the work.

Let the Community know if the lesson helps you accomplish what you need to with your course. Looking forward to hearing from you! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived