Indicate Where Files Are Linked Within a Course

(21)
The awesome Files feature would be even better if it could indicate that a file is linked elsewhere within your course -- on a Page, from other rich content, or as a Module item -- in an unobtrusive way.  If a file's linked-elsewhere status were indicated in Files, the benefits might include fewer broken links, fewer Page Errors reported, and easier content revision.  Ideally the indicator could also help an instructor or designer locate content elsewhere in the course which uses this file.

(Inspired by Andrea Adimando's observations about how we naturally delete and re-upload files we want to revise.)

22 Comments
tomasdore
Community Participant

If I want to delete unused files, to tidy up, how do I ensure that I am not taking out files that are in use? This seems like a solution.

Possibly this is covered in Andrea Adimando's observations about how we naturally delete and re-upload files we want to revise, but I do not have permission to view that link, "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!