Insertable "Text Box" option in Rich Text feature

0 Likes

I would like to make a request to add a Text Box feature to the Rich Text format for students when completing assignments. I have documents that I need my students (at home and in person) to edit/complete but not all student computers have the same functionalities/accessibilities.

Adding an insertable “Text Box” feature/option to the Rich Text format (accessible after clicking the initial "Submit Assignment" button) would help students make additions to a document and complete assignments without needed extra programs/downloads.

For example, in the Canvas Speed Grader, I have the option to insert a Text Box on student work that is submitted to me. It would be nice if I could give an assignment and students could insert a Text Box to add their answers to areas of a document without extra steps. Some students can't complete the assignment at all due to the lack of accessibility options on their devices.

Adding this feature option to the Rich Text format would help in various subject areas and grade levels. As it stands now, many teachers are having to do several "work arounds" to get simple tasks completed. 

Thank you for considering this request.

Amber Kmet, Middle School Reading Teacher

kmeta@pcsb.org

Tags (2)
6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@kmeta 

Thanks for sharing this idea. When a teacher creates an assignment of the "online/text entry" submission type, a text entry box with the Rich Content Editor displays when the student starts the submission process. That's documented for students in How do I submit a text entry assignment?

We think you might be looking for the ability to provide students with your own document upon which they can add annotations? If so, this functionality is available to students using the Canvas Student App (How do I add annotations to a submission in the Student app on my iOS device?). The request to make this available via the web browser is a long-standing topic of conversation at Student PDF Annotations on Web Browser Version.

Is this on the order of what you're hoping to see?

kmeta
Community Member
Author

Unfortunately, I did not find that information helpful. I want to load an image or even image of a document into the assignment area for the students to then "mark" directly on it by inserting a text box. Does that make sense? Is there way this could be added?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kmeta 

I hope I'm understanding: Within an assignment, you would like to provide students with your document on which they can mark annotations such as text entries and then return it as their assignment submission—is that correct? If so, that's the subject of the conversation at Student PDF Annotations on Web Browser Version . If not, please let us know.

kmeta
Community Member
Author

Yes, I believe we are talking about the same thing. Thank you.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived