Keep Classic Quiz

0 Likes
(1)
  • The short version of this post is: I think Canvas should keep the option of Classic Quizzes, period.

• Almost all software out there, as they make a new version, makes sure that content will be backwards compatible. The old documents will still be able to be used in the new version of the software.
  • I don't understand how Canvas can have us make content using Classic Quizzes for years, then switch and not make the New Quiz engine work with the Classic Quizzes that we have written.
  • I am in charge of a huge project at my college. We have created hundreds of Classic Quizzes. Two of the features that we use that are not available in New Quizzes are:
    • Text only question. Here we put a video for the students to watch before quizzing them on that material. The only option New Quizzes has for this is a Stimulus question which converts the quiz to a 2 column format, therefore making it unreadable to any student using a tablet or phone. Yes, a workaround would be to make it a T/F problem and ask the students if they watched the video - really?
    • Grouped questions. It was very simple to make grouped questions in Classic Quizzes. Afterwards you could go in and look at and edit your questions. With New Quizzes, all grouped/pooled questions must be put into item banks. To write just 2 questions into an item bank you must:
      • Create the item bank
      • Go to the quiz you want them in and write a question, and add it to the item bank.
        • Now since there is no way to organize item banks into folders, I will be sorting through around 2000 item banks in each of my searches.
      • Write another question in the quiz and add it to the item bank - again searching through 2000 item banks.
      • Delete the two questions from the quiz.
      • Add in a random question from the new item bank (again searching through all of my item banks)
  • I have already watched all of the videos out there and read the posts about how to migrate. With what I have, starting from scratch would be way easier. I am not going to export/import each question as a separate QTI file. Plus, my point is really not the migration. My point is we have a good system/product here. Why are we losing it?

Seriously? This is ridiculous!

Keep the functionality of Classic Quizzes.

Who wants to look at a quiz and just see - 1 question randomly selected from ... item bank. You want to see your quiz!

Tags (2)
3 Comments
DeletedUser
Not applicable

Hey Cynthia

All good points.  Canvas is trying to rush through a new product without addressing all the issues you brought up first.  On top of that, get this:  item banks in new quizzes CAN NOT be exported.  It is stuck to your account.  Tech support from Canvas confirmed this when I showed them how to test and confirm this issue, and I even brought it up in forums but got ignored completely.

Do not remove Classic Quiz until New Quizzes have all the functionality of Classic Quiz, plus all the known issues fixed.

CynthiaShrout
Community Member
Author

I did not know that. Good point.

There is another issue that I forgot to raise. New Quizzes do not work with Blueprint systems. They sync the first time, then that is it. Any changes you make afterwards do not get synced. Many of us have set up extensive Blueprint systems on our campuses.

They really are not going about this right. Add in new features. Don't get rid of features/systems.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@CynthiaShrout 

We appreciate your thoughtful comments. As you know, the timeline for New Quizzes development includes the date on which Classic Quizzes will be deprecated, then removed from Canvas altogether. Our teams are actively developing on New Quizzes, and we're working hard to bring the features to the new quiz tool that will make it easier for teachers and designers to use it and to migrate their existing assessments more easily.

Please know that the product manager overseeing the development of New Quizzes has been actively engaging with our members to hear their opinions about New Quizzes and to get recommendations for prioritization. That is the best place to get your voice heard, so we urge you to participate in these discussions with her. Here are some recent blog posts where you can join in:

Coming Soon to New Quizzes: Item Banks Management (and item bank enhancements are in the forthcoming June release)

Timing Feedback Needed: NQ Instructor Workflow Cha... (implemented in April 2021)

Quizzes Planned Priorities and Roadmap 2021 : Please note that content migration is the top priority. We're already rolling out the item bank enhancements, and as you can see from the New Quizzes Priority section of the blog post, integration with Canvas's Rich Content Editor (RCE) is the next item on that list. When that happens, New Quizzes will accommodate the video prompt you've described, among many, many other desired features that come with the RCE—like the accessibility checker. Keep an eye on  New Quizzes - RCE to match Canvas, already in development, for updates.

New Quizzes looking forward; 2021

In addition, we hope you'll have a discussion about the implications for your project with your school's Canvas admin, who can raise your concerns directly with your Customer Success Manager (CSM).

Thanks again.