Limiting Live Chat Function to Groups

(2)

It would be great if we could limit the live chat function to specific groups of students (e.g., 4-5 students working on a group exercise together), as well as to specific sections.  

Thanks!  

Ben  

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@gs_cmi , we've opened this idea for voting. In the meantime, consider using the Conferences feature to hold a chat with selected students. You'll find a comprehensive list of resources for Conferences in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18572-conferences-resources 

cynthia_park
Community Member

I believe this fits closely with your idea. I would like the ability to turn off the public chat and shared notes options during conferences. As a 5th grade teacher my students love to use this feature to be distracting. I'm sure with so many elementary teachers using this feature for the first time that many would agree.

rebecca_asker
Community Participant

I would love this function as well! I would love the option to chat in groups (they can already create discussions, but sometimes you want to be able to send short messages, fast).  

They could chat through conferences, but we don't allow students to create their own conferences, because our classes are so large that students could invite hundreds of people at the same time, which would be annoying...So that's not a good solution for everyone. 

ZacharyRodan
Community Novice

I am a student who is currently in a class that makes considerable use of group work. As such, our teacher has put us into groups within canvas, and in trying to establish straightforward communication with my groupmates, I have run into difficulties caused by the lack of useful communication tools for groups to use. discussions don't do a good job of noting when a new response is added, or of making their presence visible, and announcements are even more clunky.
I noticed in the class's page on canvas that there was a course chat feature, and it would be great if that feature (or something similar to it) were also available for groups, as there is currently a distinct lack of easy communication options provided to groups.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.