Microsoft multi-tenant

0 Likes
(9)

Hi,

in our University we are using several Microsoft Tenants for our different institutions. In order to integrate Canvas with MS Teams, it is mandatory that students and teacher are in the same tenant. As Canvas only offers the possibility to set up only one Tenant, these makes impossible to use the Teams integration. Any develeopment in roadmap for abllowing multi-tenant configuration?

One Tenant per Canvas Sub-Account would be really great?

Thanks

10 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

guilera
Community Participant

We have the same issue - 2 tenants - there is no movement to change at our college..

Faculty are currently using the app from the RCE - as an option of Zoom.
I am curious about the status of the existing tool for future enhancements or support moving forward- knowing the focus is on the new LTI tool.

steven_bianco
Community Explorer

Multi-tenant support would be helpful for my institution as well.

gaudreac
Community Member

This would be incredibly helpful. We're a Microsoft campus in many ways, including using OneDrive and Teams, but we can't move forward without a multi-tenant solution.

guilera
Community Participant

We need the 2 tenant option!!!

RobertMiller1
Community Member

Couldn't agree more! Many higher-education institutions run a 'multi-tenant' configuration: one for staff and faculty, and the other for students. There are many reason to continue doing so: 

Microsoft doesn't provide a lot of privacy protection for our faculty from students, and even between students. And the controls that they do are are global/tenant-wide, forcing institutions to separate their employees from their students.

Because Microsoft has been dragging their feet for years in enabling admins to enforce more granular security/privacy controls within a tenant, it would be AMAZING to see Canvas step up and fill those gaps that prevent us from leveraging Teams as our core classroom meeting/correspondence software. 

Please help Canvas!!

DunstanLawrence
Community Novice

I would really like this feature too!

Any idea on an implementation date?

Cheers

Dunstan

JasonPetersen
Community Member

Those of you with a 'multi-tenant' configuration.  What are you doing to MFA Canvas?  I know of the Google authenticator option, but I do not want to add another authenticator app.  Are you using DUO or something else?  

If possible, I want to make use of the Azure authenticator, but with our 'multi-tenant' environment, that doesn't seem to be possible.

Thank you for any feedback! 

JamesMcCrary
Community Member

Agreed. We are in a system that shares a single Canvas instance. On top of each of our colleges having its own sub-account, we have two tenants for Microsoft per college: one for instructors/employees and one for students. We really need multi-tenant support. I have a feeling Instructure will punt to Microsoft...and Microsoft will punt to Instructure...and we will be in this cycle without resolution.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.