Migrate Question Banks to Item banks Automatically

(108)

I would like to see the ability to migrate question banks (Quizzes) to item banks (Quizzes.Next) automatically when a quiz is migrated from Quizzes to Quizzes.Next.  

41 Comments
Aworkman
Community Novice

Oh please, oh please create a way to turn Classic Quiz questions into New Quiz questions. I am dying to use the new features, but I will NEVER use them if I have to re-create all of my quiz questions. I simply don't have time. Thank you.

marpayne
Community Explorer

New quizzes do not allow migration of question banks from old quizzes.  Please allow this as creating question banks from scratch is tedious and time-consuming.

giselle_guillor
Community Explorer

This is needed because the workaround process of making quizzes with the banks and then exporting and importing them into the item banks is time-consuming. Also, some instructors may not realize it is necessary before old quizzes go away.

mcralen
Community Novice

+1

canvasuser99
Community Member

Absolutely--this is a must! 

cdunn4
Community Explorer

Is there a migration tool now, 4/20/2021?

KBurnette2021
Community Member

The fact that the classic "question bank" and new "item bank" are found in different locations and you can't just move questions is incredibly frustrating!  

jonespa1
Community Participant

I avoided using New Quizzes for my math classes for many reasons.  Now it looks like we are going to be forced into using new Quizzes AND have to do all the heavy lifting to get our question banks moved over.  It is going to take hours and hours of work!  Please fix this!!  There are still many features in Classic Quizzes that are not available in the new format, and this is supposed to be an upgrade??!!??

elovitt
Community Participant

As I am working with our faculty in reviewing the move to the New Quiz tool the lack of a migration tool for existing "Question Banks" to "Item Banks" is major road block.  Many of our faculty have spent semesters building these resources only to find no easy way to migrate.  Please work on a migration option!

asaylor
Community Explorer

I am also struggling with how to explain this as a "value add" to faculty who have just spent all their time working through COVID. So yeah all that hard work.... looks like you have to redo it ----this will not go over well!

ctr_amachsonca
Community Explorer

This is going to be a big issue for us in trying to eventually move faculty over to New Quizzes. There must be a way to migrate cleanly between the quiz platforms!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The product manager for New Quizzes has been actively engaging with community members during the development process, and if you want to participate, please follow her blog posts:  Quizzes Planned Priorities and Roadmap 2021.

ksalyards
Community Member

Absolutely! Or just make a tool so you can "migrate" the question bank to a new quizzes item bank as easily as you can migrate a classic quiz to a new quiz. It is absolutely irresponsible on your part, Instructure, to turn off classic quizzes and have no way to transfer the banks easily. There are a few things in your platform that scream "I've never actually been a teacher in a real classroom before," but WOW, this oversight screams it very, very loudly. 

josh_langston
Community Explorer

This is HUGE on our radar right now.  We must be able to have a clean migration process as we move from one quiz generation to the next.  Our teachers have spent inordinate amounts of time building quizzes and corresponding question banks.  If they are told these banks do not migrate and have to be rebuilt from scratch, there will be torches, pitchforks, and gnashing of teeth.  Please get us a clean, easy, straightforward process for this.

schristensen3
Community Explorer

For the love of all that's holy! Find a way that we can convert our question banks from Classic Quizzes into item banks in New Quizzes.

Right now the process is:

1. Go into quizzes.
  2. Create a new quiz with the entire question bank.
  3. Click on settings.
  4. Click on export content (quizzes).
  5. Download ONE AT A TIME the quizzes as a qti file (the quiz will act as your item bank when uploaded).
  6. Click on item bank, and upload qti file as a new item bank.

One........At........A........Time!

Why? Perhaps, I am misinformed, and there's a sensible way of doing this? If that's the case please help me out. With 8 courses with between 50-100 question banks per course the above method is not a great way to help people adopt the New Quizzes.

Shanalynnball
Community Member

Please, please add this.  I will NOT transition to the new quizzes until I can migrate my question banks.  I have too many to do the "work around."

MattVosburgh
Community Member

I consider this a high-priority request as we continue to get closer to the end of life for Classic Quizzes. Can anyone provide an update as to whether the ability to convert question banks is being developed or, at minimum, considered? Thank you for your time! 

elovitt
Community Participant

I know that we no longer have a time constraint with moving to New Quizzes. However, I am still trying to find anywhere in the recent postings if there is any movement on the migration of existing Question Banks including graphics to the new Quiz Tool?

My faculty do not have time to re-design questions and would like to hear more about progress.

Thanks

Ed

asaylor
Community Explorer

I know that we no longer have a time constraint with moving to New Quizzes. However, I am still trying to find anywhere in the recent postings if there is any movement on the migration of existing Question Banks including graphics to the new Quiz Tool?

My faculty do not have time to re-design questions and would like to hear more about progress.

Thanks

Ed

I also would like to know more about the status of the migration. This has been one of the biggest sticking points for me. My faculty need an easy path forward. 

rep50
Community Member
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.