New Quizzes: 2 Option Multiple Choice questions (Correct Answers Can be Predicted)

0 Likes
(8)

On English tests, we use multiple choice questions to have students choose correct diction, word usage, etc. We only provide the correct response and the most commonly made error as possible choices. We created several hundred questions in item banks listing the correct response first intending to rely on the quiz's ability to shuffle the answers. When we previewed the tests, we learned that the system always places to correct answer second. We believe that the shuffle feature should shuffle even if there are only two possible choices.

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi!

I wanted to check in and verify that you've checked the Shuffle Answers option in Settings? Additionally, when building the Multiple Choice question(s), did you select the Shuffle Choices box in Options on the question itself?

I tried activating both of these and had more luck, but 2 of the 3 questions still had the correct answer listed second. I'm wondering if I should try to build a longer quiz to note a pattern. Let me know what you experience. 🙂 

mcolucci
Community Member
Author

@KristinL 

Thank you for looking into it. I have tried every combination of the two settings. I get the same results every time - all the correct answers are listed second. I opened a case last Summer regarding this issue (#07774539). I was told the only solution was to supply a third response, "none of these." I do not want to increase the difficulty level of the questions; so this is not a good solution. I decided to wait on using New Quizzes because Classic Quizzes behaves as it should. Our institution is considering moving to only New Quizzes, so this has become an issue again. I do have one poor solution to the problem. I can set each question to shuffle in the question options and then lock the first response in random questions, but I would rather not have to edit hundreds of questions. I created an Idea Conversation instead hoping that the idea might get traction if more people were aware of the issue. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Thank you for the follow-up!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.