Ratio symbol in the maths equation editor

0 Likes

Add the : symbol for ration to the maths equation editor

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

5 Comments
IsobelWilliams
Community Member
Author

This symbol : needs to be added to the LaTeX editor please.

James
Community Champion

@IsobelWilliams 

If you are using the : for a ratio, then I think it looks better to just type : than to use \colon. Since : is on the keyboard, there is little need for it on the palette.

According to the Short Math Guide for LaTeX from the American Mathematical Society, the \colon produces special spacing for use in constructions such as f\colon A\to B. The : by itself produces a colon with class-3 (relation) spacing.

I went into the equation editor and played around and this is what I found:

2022-03-27_23-30-07.png

I have to agree with the AMS that the \colon looks best with the mapping and the : looks best with the ratio.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

IsobelWilliams
Community Member
Author

@James thanks for that code - I had tried the : from the keyboard but it was not rendering for me.  That works!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you @James for collaborating! @IsobelWilliams, this Idea will be Archived because the : symbol is available with keyboard imputs.